29. "A different vampire"

After talking it over with Alexander one thing was for sure, I had to contact Merissa. I also had to use my powers to let out some of the vampires to cause a distraction and kill Darko. I didn't even know where to start. I had to understand and use my abilities in a short period of time. The only thing working for us was that Alexander had read the Imperium book and he probably understood me better than I did myself. I had to learn so much in so little, but the thought of what would happen if I didn't was so terrifying that I decided not to focus on that. Instead, I had to pull through because it was all up to me.

"What are you thinking about?" Alexander's voice startled me a little.

Alexander was standing in front of me, carelessly leaning against the wall and observing my every action. I was sitting on the floor, supposedly trying to focus on my inner power. And miserably failing to get anything out of it.

"I was just--" I started explaining, but Alexander interrupted me.

"Don't tell me you were trying. I can tell you're distracted." he accused me. He was right. I sighed.

"It's kind of hard to focus." I said. I was a little distracted between having to save humanity and Dennis being left without his humanity. Alexander ran his hand through his hair like he did when he was either nervous or exasperated. This time it seemed like he was both.

"Does it help to know that the fate of humanity is in your hands?" he asked, in an unfriendly tone. He seemed mad at me, which I could understand on some level. If humanity was doomed and we all died, it wouldn't be my fault, but I could see why it would bother Alexander to know that he was helpless and that his life was in the hands of a mortal.

"Not really." I said with a fake smile.

Suddenly, the little green light next to the camera came to light, and Alexander coughed, hinting me to stop whatever I was doing. I stood up from the floor and fixed my hair. I was constantly on edge since we got here. I didn't even remember how much time it had passed, but I was certainly done with it.

"Good morning, subjects." a voice came out of the speaker. Alexander rolled his eyes. "It's feeding time." the voice said. Alexander looked at me briefly, like he wanted to feed, but he wouldn't ask.

"Do you need...?" I asked. He immediately knew what I was asking, and he shook his head.

"I'm fine." he said, staring at my neck.

Ever since he tasted my blood, Alexander seemed weirder than usual. It felt like he was constantly controlling himself now. Like he was an addict, and I was a walking needle full of heroin. I noticed the behavior immediately because Dennis started acting the same way when he drank my blood for the first time. Alexander shook his head like he just snapped out of it.

"Are you sure?" I asked. Alexander looked at me with a serious expression. I wasn't thrilled about Alexander drinking my blood, but if he needed it, then I would have to do it. The last —and first— time that he drank my blood was a day or two ago, and maybe he needed some again.

"I don't think it's a good idea." he said, almost like he was disgusted. Did he not like my blood? I almost felt offended.

"I don't want it either, but if you need it..." I said. Alexander shook his head.

"Stella. I want it." he said, looking directly into my eyes, and then down to my neck. "I really want it." he then looked at my lips. It was like he was stopping himself from either kissing me or killing me. My heartbeat was suddenly getting faster. "Which is why I don't think it's a good idea." he clarified. I nodded, speechless. With everything that was happening around me I hadn't processed properly the fact that I had shared blood with Alexander. "I don't need it anyway." he said. I snapped out of it.