38. "Dead, but alive"

Then, right as I began to dehydrate with all the crying, Jacqueline entered the room. She was wearing a black leather dress with long red boots up to her knees. She also was wearing her typical black eyeshadow and her black hair was high up in a ponytail, but it was so long that the tips still reached her thighs. She coughed once she saw the state I was in, and Alexander pulled away from me once he saw her. I was confused, but mostly I was sad. Heartbroken, really.

"I need to tell you something." Jacqueline said with a worried expression. Alexander nodded, indicating her to keep talking. "It's about the other human." Jacqueline said. She had to have been talking about Merissa because she was the only other human around. The emptiness in my chest began to feel bigger and bigger. "Merissa." Jacqueline seemed to remember her name. I sighed. The sole sound of her name sent shivers down my spine.

"What about her?" Alexander asked. Jacqueline looked at me like she wasn't sure whether to say what was in her mind in front of me. Alexander looked at me. "It's fine." he said. I was glad he wasn't leaving me out of the important conversations anymore, even if it was because he felt sorry for me.

"She's gone." Jacqueline said, and I felt the tears in my eyes begin to accumulate. "Like literally gone." Jacqueline said like there was something else to what she'd said. I looked at Alexander, waiting for some answers.

"What do you mean?" Alexander asked. I was unable to speak.

"I went to find the body like you asked me, and it wasn't there." Jacqueline said. I looked at Alexander and then at Jacqueline again, confused. What was going on?

"How...?" Alexander didn't finish his question, probably because he was just as confused as me, or even more. I was still in the dark about many things, and it was still bothering me.

"I don't know. I checked the whole place, and I found nothing." Jacqueline said. I was so confused, but a glimpse of home entered my mind. What if she was alive?

"Could she be alive?" I asked, finally managing to speak. They both looked at me, Alexander with sadness in her eyes, and Jacqueline with confusion.

"She's not alive. We saw what happened." Jacqueline said, and the tiny bit of hope that had grown inside me started to fade, letting the sadness enter again. I took a deep breath, and so did Alexander. He also ran his hands through his hair like he usually did when he was nervous. He then stood up and walked towards Jacqueline, who was a couple of feet away from us inside that giant room.

"Find her." Alexander demanded to Jacqueline, and she nodded. She seemed a little reluctant, but she left the room and went to do what she was ordered, nonetheless. I laid back on the bed and stared at the ceiling for a second.

"How did it happen?" I asked, still focused on the ceiling. Alexander sat next to me on the bed again and he put his hand on my knee. Now that Jacqueline was gone, he had no problem showing affection for me.

"After you blacked out, we had to kill everyone else in the building." Alexander said. I was a little surprised. Alexander was part of The Academy, an organization that claimed to care about human and vampire lives, and he just admitted to killing a good amount of vampires. I sat up on the bed and he removed his hand from my knee. I then realized I was wearing a simple short blue dress. Someone must have changed my clothes and put me into clean non-gray ones, I would have normally worried about that, but my mind was too occupied thinking about more important things to care if anyone had seen me naked.

"You killed them all?" I asked. Alexander nodded.

I had conflicting emotions. I really didn't like it when people died, vampire or human, but I could admit that it was sometimes necessary. Like Darko, for example. He wasn't going to stop trying to obliterate humanity even if we tried to convince him to, so he had to go. As far as the other vampires go, I wasn't sure. What if most of them were just under some sort of compulsion? Did they not deserve the same change we agreed we'd give Dennis to turn their emotions back on and join the good side? I didn't know what the right thing to do was, and I hated when that happened. I wondered what I would have thought about all this one year ago, when vampires were nothing but outsider creatures that I'd never get a chance to interact with for me. I could think about this for hours, but I didn't feel like it. I wanted to know what had happened to Merissa, and then I wanted to go to my house in Santa Mon and eat ice cream while I cry and watch Dirty Dancing on repeat, Merissa's favorite movie.