36. "She's the Imperium"

"Merissa!" I ran over and hugged her. The thought of her getting hurt because I dragged her into this mess haunted me, and it was really comforting to see that she was alive and well. I felt her agitated breathing and her fast-pacing heart against my chest, which was to be expected after what she'd had to do. I was so glad that none of the vampires saw her on their way out, probably because they were all so excited to be getting out.

"I'm so glad you're okay." Merissa said against my hair. She was taller than me, so her hug was even more comforting. I wondered if I was comforting her as much as she was comforting me.

"Are you okay?" I asked, making sure she didn't just look okay, but she actually was.

"I'm okay." she reassured me. We broke away from the hug and the first things I saw were her beautiful green eyes. I smiled. "So, are you going to explain exactly how you got into this mess?" she asked. When I explained to her what she had to do to get us out of here I didn't leave time to tell her how we were in that situation in the first place.

"It's a long story." I said.

"We don't have time for this." I heard Jacqueline say, probably to Alexander. I turned to them. She was right.

"I'm going." Alexander said. Heading to the elevator.

"You can't go alone." I said, walking towards him.

"He's not going alone." Jacqueline said. She was standing next to him a second later.

"You'll both die." I said. Darko and his possible army of emotionless vampires would kill Jacqueline easily, and it would take them a lot of effort to kill Alexander, but eventually, they would. They would both die and Darko would get away with his plan, so they would die for nothing. I couldn't let that happen.

"Can you do something to protect us?" Alexander asked Sybil. She didn't answer, she just took a deep breath and looked at Merissa. She looked tired, really tired.

"It took her a lot of effort to break the spells. I don't think she can do much more." Merissa said, and she was right. Sybil went from looking tired to not being able to stand on her own a second later. She almost fell on her back, but Alexander quickly caught her and laid her on the floor. She was unconscious, and completely useless magic-wise. Alexander sighed.

"I'll go with you. You know I can kill Darko, I did it once." I said. Alexander shook his head.

"If you had killed him, we wouldn't be in this situation." Jacqueline said.

"I killed him. He didn't stay dead because he had a witch on his side." I said. Jacqueline rolled her eyes.

"And don't you think he has one now too?" she asked. She was right, and I knew that.

Alexander and I had come to the conclusion that he had a witch on his side a long time ago, once we learned about the sealing spell in the building, but that didn't mean we'd just let him walk free. I was sure of one thing; I was a lot more powerful now than the first time we crossed paths with Darko, and maybe I could even outpower Darko's witch. We had to at least try because if Darko managed to get out, it would have all been for nothing.

"We know he does, but I think I can take her." I said. Jacqueline gave me an incredulous look. I looked at Alexander, who still seemed undecided as to what we would do next. "You know what I'm capable of." I said. Alexander nodded.

"What if you die?" he asked. Jacqueline frowned.

"So, what if she dies?" Jacqueline asked.

"She's the reason we're free." he said like he had to explain himself to Jacqueline.