14. "It wasn't just a nightmare"

I woke up like I'd just had a nightmare. My pulse was through the roof and my chest was going up and down at an accelerated speed. I sat up on the bed as soon as I was able to, and the first thing I saw once I did, were Alexander's eyes. He was sitting on the bed I was on, looking at me with worried eyes.

"Wha--" I started asking, but a sharp pain in my head stopped me.

"Don't get too agitated, keep resting." Alexander suggested, but I didn't feel like listening to him, so I ignored the pain in my head and tried to talk again.

"Where are we?" I managed to ask.

We were inside a room that looked like a futuristic prison cell. The room was very small, it consisted of four gray walls, two gray beds, one on each side of the room, one transparent glass-looking door, no windows, nothing else. I looked around trying not to move too much. I was so confused.

"We're in one of the floors inside the building, but I'm not really sure which one." Alexander said. The building? What building? What was he talking about?

And suddenly I remembered. Willowdale, the building, the twenty underground levels, Darko, Dennis. Dennis! It all came to me; why we were here, and what we had seen once we got here. Darko was alive and I had no idea where Dennis was, so not much progress had been made. The last thing I remembered was seeing Darko, after that there was nothing.

"But what happened? The last I remember we were standing inside that elevator and we saw Darko. What happened next?" I asked, and Alexander sighed.

"He hit you in the head, that's why you don't remember." he clarified, and I frowned.

"What happened to 'whenever I'm around, you're safe'?" I asked, but I didn't know if it was a fair question. Maybe I was demanding too much of Alexander, who had no obligation to protect me whatsoever.

"He's older than me, Stella. I couldn't stop him, but trust that I tried." he said in his typical monotonous way. The thing about Alexander was that he was always calm and had everything under control, but I would imagine this not being one of those times.

"And how did they get you in here?" I asked, still trying to figure it all out.

"They threatened to kill you if I didn't do exactly what they said." he admitted sincerely. "I don't stand a chance against him, Stella." he said in a disappointed tone, and then he ran his hands through his hair.

I finally felt like standing up, so I did. Alexander looked at me as I walked across the room to look out through the glass door. There was nothing there, just a boring gray hall with a few other glass doors I couldn't see through. I sighed. I stared to feel like I did when I was a kid and I had to use an elevator, claustrophobic. The walls appeared to be closing in on me, and the air in the room started to feel hotter and hotter, and like we were running out of it. I leaned on the door.

"Are you okay?" Alexander sprinted towards me with vampire speed and he put his left hand next to my face, on the wall. I looked at him, unsure of what to think.

"Not really." I confessed, and Alexander sighed and looked at the door, like he knew there was little he could do about the situation. How unfamiliar it must've been for him to feel helpless. I took a deep breath and reminded myself of what was important: Dennis. "Did you find out where Dennis is?" I asked. Alexander took a step back, given how unnecessary our closeness was.

"He's here, that's for sure." he said. Well, that was a start. I nodded. "But I don't know where, exactly." he said, and I nodded again. Then I noticed something that caught my attention.

I hadn't realized before, but Alexander wasn't wearing the same closes he was wearing when we got here, he was wearing gray sweatpants and a plain gray sleeveless t-shirt than enhanced his muscular arms. I frowned and looked down at my body, usure of what to expect. I was wearing the same, only smaller and tighter. This place looked more and more like a prison by the minute.