17 Seconds

When you wake up, you never really think about what can happen in seventeen seconds let alone one second.  But so much can happen in even just a second that you don't have time to process it all.  Having the profession as a doctor allows you to live in the moment.  To not take life for granted because you never really know when it will be your last.  Or in my case of delivering babies - someone's first breath.  

-

Alison was meeting up with Anthony today as they thought it would be a good idea to meet before the prom.  That way it wouldn't be awkward when the dance is.  Alison decided to wear her favorite pair of white pants, a nice royal blue blouse where the sleeves went halfway and she wore her black booties.  She had decided to wear gold eyeshadow mixed with some matte browns to make her blue eyes pop and Alison wore her hair down in soft waves.  Before she left she spritzed on some of her favorite perfume.  It would also be the outfit she wore to work later on.

They would be meeting at a nice bistro in town that was also close to the hospital just in case she got called in for any emergencies before she actually went to work.  She didn't have to go in until later since there weren't any deliveries planned so far.

Alison had to admit that she liked the finer things in life.  Who didn't?  An overpriced salad though that was half the price of a store bought one?  It was ridiculous but Alison did it anyway.

"Anthony?" She asks quizzically unsure.

"Yes," he grins at her showing his pearly whites and she smiles back.  "Alison, right?"

"Yes.  It's nice to finally meet you."

"It's nice meeting you also," he says as he hugs her.  "I have to tell you I'm kind of surprised you agreed to this?" He said as they were led to their table.

"Addison told you?"

"Yeah," he lets out a laugh as they take their seats.  "It's okay.  She's been trying to set me up too with all of her friends."

"What made you say yes?"

"I liked hearing that you were good with kids.  I have a four year old son and I liked that you're a doctor.  What made you decide to say yes?"

"Really?  Most people when they hear that I'm a doctor they run mostly because I often times spend more time at the hospital than I do my own home.  I guess I chose yes half to shut Addison up finally and the other half I was curious about you.  What's your sons name?"

"Well, trust me, I know all about long hours in the office.  It sucks sometimes especially when it takes me away from time with my son but I just try and balance work and my personal life.  His name is Bentley."

"So how do you do it?  Balance your work life and personal life, I mean.  It must be hard..." Alison trailed off as they were then given their food that they had ordered.

"It's hard at first but it gets better once you get into the routine.  But enough about work - tell me about yourself."

When Alison was with Anthony she realized how easy it was being with him.  She felt as though she could be herself with him.  That there was a sense of carefree when they didn't talk about work or the struggles of it.  His wrinkles on the sides of his eyes more prominent as he smiled big making Alison smile as well.  They talked about each other's past.  How he was a single dad raising his four year old son.  How his girlfriend had left after giving birth to Bentley because she didn't want to be a mother.  She didn't feel she was good enough.  Alison told him of her struggles with dating in the past, hence her reservation for wanting to accept Addison's blind dates.  They both had their skeletons but felt it was easier to talk about it now instead of later.