Resident's Only

In life it's not just doctors who have a competitive nature

In life it's not just doctors who have a competitive nature.  We always want to be better.  To do better.  It's in our nature to be competitive and do the best damn job we know we can do.  I've always been competitive.  Maybe it's because I grew up with two brothers and they pushed me.  Or maybe it was because they made me want to be a better version of myself.  Either way - I have to be grateful for it.  

-

"You know you look younger with your goatee shaved off," Alison told her boyfriend as she was making them protein pancakes in her kitchen.

"Really?" He brought his hand up to his chin and gave a smirk.

"I kind of miss the goatee," she pouted slightly.  "It was like your trademark like the leather jacket is."

"I can always grow it back," he told her as he circled his arms around her waist and brought her closer to his chest.  "If it makes you feel any better."

"It would," she told him and she felt him kiss the top of her head which made her melt.  "But I don't mind the shaved face too much," she teased him making him laugh slightly.

"Need help with anything?"

"Yeah, can you get some fruit out of the fridge and some plates please?"

"Of course," he nods his head.  

"Did you know James made it back late last night?"

"Is that who you were talking to late last night?"

"Yeah," she nodded her head with a sheepish smile on her face.  "Sorry if I woke you.  I tried to be quiet.  I was just so happy he's home now."

"Don't worry about it," he waved a hand at her and began cutting the strawberries as she flipped the pancakes.  "I'm glad he's home too.  I'm actually looking forward to seeing him during Thanksgiving."

"I'm sorry, did you just say you are looking forward to seeing my brother?" She smirked at him. 

"I'll admit I was nervous as hell at first but I got his approval so now I'm clear," he puffed his chest out a little as he was proud of himself for passing the test.

"I always knew they would like you.  Maybe at first they were hesitant, but I knew they would overcome that," she replied with a smile and put the now done pancake on the plate that he had handed her seconds ago and handed him the plate as she got her own.

*

Alison stopped walking and Mark noticed right away as he turned around with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked her as he walked towards her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"He's back today."

It was four days later since Richard suspended Doctor Kenley and Alison wasn't sure how to feel but she knew she was nervous.  Mainly for how he would react when he saw her.  She knew Richard wanted her to tell him if he kept up but she hoped he didn't.