Was Any of it Real?

There comes a time in everyone's life when we have to make those really hard decisions

There comes a time in everyone's life when we have to make those really hard decisions.  You know the one's I'm talking about.  The life changing decisions.  That can change your future for a lifetime.  When I went to med school I had the choice between John Hopkins School of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, UCSF School of Medicine and Stanford University School of Medicine.  I ended up choosing John Hopkins School of Medicine.  But you always wonder sometimes if you made the right decision.  You always wonder what would have happened if you chose the opposite.  And then sometimes... it's too late.

-

"I'm officially out of the running for chief residents," Alison said to Mark and Derek as she let out a frustrated sigh as she crossed her arms.

"What makes you think that?" Mark asked.

"Because I'm basically done being a resident already.  I mean I'm going to be taking my exams and boards pretty soon."

"Are you studying for it?" Derek asked her and she gave him a deadpan look.

"I've been studying for them for three months when I have time."

"What are you specializing in?"

"Neonatal and fetal with pediatrics," she said and Mark had a proud smile.

"You know Addison is so proud of you and how far you've come," Derek said speaking of his ex-wife.  

"She's honestly been the best mentor and attending I could have ever hoped for.  Tough but amazing."

Addison and Alison had such an incredible bond and understood each other.  After Alison was able to see beyond Addison's past, she realized what an amazing woman and surgeon she was.  Alison had admitted that right now was a tough time on her.  Not only was she having to study for boards but she fractured her femur and now can't perform surgeries for a while.  

*

"Which of the following physical characteristics are commonly used to determine gestational age?  Choose all that apply," Mark asked his girlfriend.

"Oh that's easy!  It's creases on the feet, nipple formation and cartilage in the ear."

"Good," he nods his head.  "All of the following are observed in the post mature infant, except which of the following?"

"Abundance of langue and abundance of vernix."

"True or false.  Caput Succedaneum can vary in size and may extend across suture lines."

"True."

"The respiratory rate of a newborn after the transition phase is about how many per minute?"

"Thirty to sixty."

"Open," he told her and she opened her mouth as he threw a popcorn in her mouth and she ate it.

"Premature infants are at higher nutritional risk than term infants because they have less accretion of minerals and less storage of nutrients.  True or false?"