The Annual Anderson Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving time

Thanksgiving time.  It's a time to be thankful.  To spend time with your family and loved ones.  To cherish those around you and appreciate what you have.  Not to focus on the things you don't have.  I always choose to focus on what I do have rather than what I don't have.  I think it's important that we all try to do that.

-

"Just warning you guys you will meet most of my other family members," Alison told Mark and Lexie.

"No problem-" Lexie began to say but was cut off by Mark who began freaking out.

"What!  When were you going to tell me this?  This isn't something that you just randomly drop on me," he whined as he jutted out his bottom lip as he pouted at his girlfriend of seven months and she smirked.

"Don't act like a little kid," Alison tutted at him.  "Besides, you love my immediate family and I'm sure my extended family will absolutely love you," she told him as she stood on her tip toes and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.  "Who wouldn't love you?"

"Anthony Davis," he smirked at her making her gasp and hit his shoulder playfully.  "Only joking. Sort of."

"You're the worst, you know that?" Derek teased his best friend.

"Yeah, yeah," he sent a smirk his way but looked back down at his girlfriend.  "I love you and because I love you, I'll meet your family."

"I love you too," she looked up at him lovingly and leaned on her tip toes as she closed her eyes and kissed him quickly.  "But you technically have to meet my family because you're dating me."

She released her arms from around his neck and skipped to the car that would be driving them to the airport but realized no one else was following her and turned around.

"Come on you slow pokes!" She called out to them as she waved them to come along and they all looked at each other before Derek followed first, then Mark and Lexie.

*

When Alison pulled into the home she lived in through out high school, the place she called home, she felt as though she was calm again.  Like she could feel calm again and focus on her family.  It was a victorian style home and the reason why her parents bought it was because it was near base and the home had charm due to the victorian style.  

If Mark were being honest, he could picture Alison growing up here.  It was a beautiful historic home with charm and character.  It had a wrap around porch, curved front window, ornate woodwork, open staircase, maple floors, original doors/hardware.  Though it also had a modern touch to it on the inside as Alison showed the three of them around.  

Christmas lights were strung outside and a pathway full of candy canes led them to the porch.  Her mother had just baked fresh gingerbread cookies just as she did every time around this time of year and the scent filled the kitchen.  Garland was wrapped around the staircase and she could see the twinkling white lights on the fireplace mantle where their stockings were hung.  The front door was decorated like a present with Christmas wrapping paper that was white with a print of pink trees, a long line of red ribbon and a bow to finish it off.  Their neighborhood went all out for Christmas every year and every year people in the city and nearby would drive by the neighborhood and look at all the pretty lights.