Chapter 9

A few moons passed and now it was leaf-fall. Leaves were everywhere. The kits now came out more often to step on them and play. Rosepaw purred watching them while padding the bedding. She had to clean the queens' nests but it wasn't too bad. However, Frozenpaw was cleaning too since Lilystar found about how she, Frozenpaw and Darkpaw were outside at night without permission. So, cleaning the nests all day was the punishment. Darkpaw was cleaning the elder's den. Rosepaw avoided Frozenpaw since that night and cleaning nests together was definitely not helping. Grr! Why couldn't Darkpaw be here?  She thought furiously. She stomped outside to the medicine cat den to get more moss. 

"Hey! How's the punishment going?" Silverpaw grinned. 

"Just give me some moss." Rosepaw grumbled. 

"Okay jeez." The medicine cat apprentice went deeper into the den and brought out moss. Rosepaw carried it in her jaws and went back to nursery. She noticed Darkpaw leaving the elder's den and heading to the fresh-kill pile. She quickly finished cleaning so she could join him. 

As she approached the tom, two small blurs tripped her. "AGH!" She yelled and fell down. Darkpaw heard her and whirled around and ran to Rosepaw.

"Are you okay!? What happened?" He asked her worried. She was about to reply when an angry queen came up to her with two kits behind.

"Say sorry NOW."  Icefur glared at her kits. 

"We're sorry for making you fall down." Snowkit and Whitekit said looking at their paws. 

"It's alright. Thank you for apologizing." Rosepaw smiled. The kits' mother took them back to the nursery scolding them on how they have to be careful. She turned to Darkpaw and saw him looking a little better but still worried. 

"Are we gonna eat or are you gonna stand there all day?" She rolled her eyes. 

"Wha- Yes! Let's eat!" Darkpaw shook his head and went back to the pile. He chose a squirrel, which he knew was Rosepaw's favorite, and sat down. Rosepaw crouched next to him and they both ate happily. As they did, she saw  Frozenpaw saying something to Lionpaw.

"Did you know that Rosepaw-" 

"-Is right here and can hear you." Rosepaw padded up to them glaring. Darkpaw followed her confused at first. When he realized what Frozenpaw was going to say, he had the same angry expression. 

"Well... I already know so it doesn't matter..." Lionpaw mumbled. Rosepaw's eyes widened. How did he know? She glanced at Darkpaw but he wasn't shocked. He looked guilty. 

"What!? Umm, Darkpaw...? What's wrong?" 

"I told Lionpaw okay!?" He blurted out. Rosepaw and Frozenpaw were both surprised. 

"Well I mean it's kinda obvious. You guys are always together. Also, what happened between you and Frozenpaw, Rosepaw?" Lionpaw stood up and said. Rosepaw was pretty confused and slightly felt betrayed so she made an excuse. 

"If your mate didn't tell you, then you don't need to know." She retorted and ran out of the camp. Frozenpaw yelled something after her but she didn't hear. She ran all the way to the other end of the lake where LakeClan was. She made sure to avoid the border and reached the end of the Clans territory. She slid inside a bush and curled up. What in the name of StarClan did I just hear?  Is it that obvious that Darkpaw and I like each other? What if he doesn't actually like me? I'M SO CONFUSED! She shoved her face into the ground and groaned. Why couldn't everything go back to the way they were? She heard rustling outside and popped her head up. She saw a black cat make his way in. It was Darkpaw.

"Rosepaw? What are you doing here?" He was really concerned now, "If it's about Lionpaw, I'm really, really sorry. I didn't think it would be a big deal. But I should have told you." His tail drooped realizing his mistake. Rosepaw gave him a small smile.

"It's okay. I overreacted a bit. I mean, we aren't hiding anything except sneaking out at night right?"

"Well we're hiding in a bush and hiding this conversation-" He started and Rosepaw sighed. 

"I didn't mean it that literally fleabrain." Darkpaw shrugged and she laughed. They ended up staying in the bush for a while until Darkpaw realized something.

"Uhhh isn't the gathering tonight? Or tomorrow?" 

"OH STARCLAN YOU'RE RIGHT! It is today! Wait... were we supposed to go?" They sat there in silence, both confused on where to go. 

"Let's just go to the gathering... no one even notices." Rosepaw decided. Darkpaw nodded and they sneaked out to the island. It was night and there were sounds of chattering echoing through the open land. They crossed the bridge and pretended they were there the whole time by sitting in the middle of the crowd talking casually. When the gathering started, Rosepaw settled herself next to Darkpaw, there pelts brushing, and tails entwined.