Chapter 2

Rosepaw sat near the apprentices den chewing her squirrel. She had eaten many kinds of prey but squirrel tasted he best. She enjoyed the taste of it. Rosepaw and swallowed and took another bite of the juicy prey. She savored the taste while it lasted. She heard from warriors that prey in leaf-bare was thin and small. Rosepaw wanted to eat plump prey while it lasted!

"Rosepaw! Quit being so lazy and get over here!" It was Amberpelt. Rosepaw sighed and finished up the squirrel. She then ran to Amberpelt.

"Yes?" She asked.

"We'll be training today. Let's go." Amberpelt flicked her tail and left camp. Rosepaw followed. Training with her was the worst. Amberpelt expected too much from her and always yelled at her for messing something up. Rosepaw saw all the other apprentices coming back excited after training. 

"Today we'll be practicing the half turn belly rake." Amberpelt announced. "And do it right this time."

Rosepaw nodded. She got into position and waited for Amberpelt. Amberpelt ran at full speed and raked her muzzle with unsheathed claws. Rosepaw turned around surprised. She was about to protest when her mentor leaped onto her and pinned her down.

"Hey! You weren't supposed to have unsheathed claws and you said we were going to practice half turn belly rake!" Rosepaw yelled. 

"How will you learn anything will claws sheathed mousebrain? In battle, no one will tell you which move they'll use on you. They can do many. Get up and try again." Amberpelt replied smirking. She got off and let Rosepaw get up. They practiced this many times after until Rosepaw was covered in blood. 

"Can we...take...a break..." Rosepaw gasped. Amberpelt reluctantly nodded and sat down. Rosepaw sighed with relief and layed down. She was bleeding all over and groomed herself to clean. She cleaned for some time until she heard a rustling in the bushes. Must be some mouse or something, she thought. The noise got louder and louder. Amberpelt slowly got to her paws and stared at where it was. It wasn't a mouse. A bright orange pelt with black feet stepped out snarling. 

"FOX!!!"