Chapter 21

"YAY ROSEMOON!" Whitekit greeted her bouncing while Snowkit danced around her. They were so excited for her to finally join them in the nursery. She had to admit, her unborn kits were giving her some trouble. Being able to rest would help. The two kits started running around laughing. Goldenkit saw what they were doing and joined in. The orange she-kit had no idea why they were running but found it fun. 

"Settle down! Especially you, Snowkit. Let Rosemoon sleep. She must be tired." Icefur snapped, shooing them away. She guided Rosemoon to an available nest and quickly cleaned it up so it would be comfortable. 

"I'll have the apprentices get you fresh bedding tomorrow." The queen told her. She headed back to her own nest and curled up for the night. Her kits joined her soon after with Goldenkit trailing after them. Rosemoon rested her chin on her paws and watched them fall asleep. So Goldenkit's my kin, huh? Feels kinda strange knowing that. She sighed and drifted off to sleep. 

"...Nooo! She can sleep later!" Snowkit's whine woke Rosemoon up. 

"Let her rest! She can play with you when she's woken up."

"Whyyyyyy? Rosemoon was doing warrior stuff just yesterday. She's fine!" Rosemoon opened her eyes and watched. The sun had just risen and Snowkit was outside arguing with her mother who was grooming Goldenkit. Whitekit was still asleep in their nest, occasionally growling and kicking his feet. 

"I- Oh look what you did? Now she's awake." Icefur scolded her seeing Rosemoon awake. Snowkit's eyes lightened up as she headed to her nest. 

"Now you can play with us!" The kit squeaked. 

"No, I have to go do something important." She shook her head and padded out. She knew Snowkit was disappointed but she had to talk to Gingerleaf. She paused and glanced sideways to see Darkclaw talking to her apprentice. He was saying something about the Warrior Code and why it's important. She hurried away hoping he didn't notice her. She padded into the medicine cat den and saw Silverleaf curled up in her nest. She was usually awake by now and sorting herbs. Rosemoon nudged her awake. Silverleaf mumbled something and blinked at her.

"What is it? Are the kits coming?" She asked yawning.

"No. It's just that you're usually awake by now. Is this because of... yesterday?" 

"Haha no. I was just tired I guess. I'll get to work now." She knew that Silverleaf was just trying to sound like her normal self. 

"Before you start, do you know where Gingerleaf is?" 

"Nope."

"Okay then. See ya later." She went back out and decided to find Gingerleaf later. She headed out and sat down. She watched the Clan doing their duties. The warriors were heading in and out of the camp entrance. Flameflight shouted out orders while Lilystar observed from above. The sunshine felt warm against Rosemoon's pelt as she dozed off.

She woke up a while later to see it was mid-day. She yawned and went back into the nursery. Whitekit was grooming himself while Snowkit and Goldenkit hopped around him. Once in a while, the two she-kits would poke him and hide. Whitekit would murmur something and go back to sleep. Rosemoon laid down next to Icefur and started grooming herself. She gave her paw a good lick and drew it over her ear. She could tell that Icefur was watching her but stayed quiet. 

"So, how are you? Are the kits giving you any trouble?" Icefur asked. 

"I'm fine. The kits are kinda painful at times." She said, wincing as one of them kicked her again. The queen nodded understandingly. She asked her a few more questions and they ended up chatting for some time. 

"The kits are pretty hard to handle at times. But I'm sure you'll make a great mother." Icefur smiled finishing their conversation. 

"Thanks. I'm happy to know you have my back in case something-" She paused when another kick came, "-goes wrong." Icefur nodded and rested her tail on Rosemoon's back. Just then, Darkclaw padded in. 

"I got prey!" He announced dropping two squirrels. He carried one of them and gave it to his mate. "This one's yours. Shinepaw caught it especially for you!" Rosemoon licked him on the cheek and took the prey happily, though she knew what really happened: he forced Shinepaw to hunt a squirrel. Darkclaw purred and nudged the other one to Icefur. He then shared the prey with Rosemoon. After they finished, Rosemoon stretched and curled up next to Darkclaw. He told her about all he did that day and how he had encountered a DarkClan patrol. He kept going but she didn't hear as she had fallen asleep.