sixty-three || my cherie amour

the song for this chapter is "My Cherie Amour," by Stevie Wonder :)

***********

My cherie amour, lovely as a summer day
My cherie amour, distant as the milky way
My cherie amour, pretty little one that I adore
You're the only girl my heart beats for

***********

Tate

     France was everything I expected it to be. Well, minus the fact that instead of being there on a romantic getaway, I was trying to solve a software that had cost a countless amount of people their lives.

    The safehouse was in Normandy, and we landed at an airport that was about an hour and a half away from it. The drive went by quicker than most, for some reason. I couldn't explain why, but we all were just very agreeable, no one said much, but not in an awkward way. It was more so that we were all growing so comfortable in each other's presence that sometimes...words were not needed. 

   We arrived at the safehouse, which was definitely the smallest one that we had stayed in so far, as it was more so a cottage than an actual house, and were currently sat outside on the back patio, journals spread out in front of us, and ready to crack the next riddle.

   There was an old metal painted table out back, painted white, but over the years of wear and tear placed upon it, the paint was all cracked and beginning to chip and flake off.

   The table came with matching chairs, four of them to be exact, and seeing as there were five of us, I was comfortably and contentedly sat in Harry's lap, and I don't think I've ever been so glad to not have a chair, for this was the best seat of all.

    His arms were looped around my waist, and every so often, I would kiss his forehead to silently tell him to stop bouncing his knee up and down.

    "Sorry, baby," he'd mumble into my ear, pressing a quick kiss to it after.

   Abel had his laptop pulled out on the desk, and I began to wonder if there was some invisible tether that attached it to his body, as I truly could think of maybe three or four times I had seen him without it.

    Niall was swatting his hand around in front of his face to deter any incoming gnats, as they all seemed to be attracted to him today.

   Will was watching a couple of birds fluttering around in the birdbath across the yard, the sunlight hitting the shallow pool of water within it, and reflecting back onto his blue eyes.

   The journals were on the table, but no one was touching them. Was the time of the essence? Completely. Was that motivating us in any way right now? Not one bit.

   We were all just sitting in comfortable silence, partially due to hangovers, but also just because...well, because of the fucking crazy lives we were living.

  I had only been living this lifestyle for a few months now and I was exhausted.  Harry and the rest of the guys had been doing this for years, and I found myself questioning whether or not they were really human, because I don't think I would have the strength to live this way for so many years.   

    It was Abel who broke our silence, letting out a reluctant sigh as he moved his laptop to the side, placing his elbows on the now vacant table space in from of him and resting his head in his palms, drumming his fingers on the side of his face. 

    "We should probably look at the journals," he announced, and we all tutted and nodded our heads in agreement, but no one made the effort to actually do anything about it.