Chapter 1

Third person POV

Nickolai Kingsley is the Russian Mafia don. He wasn't as ruthless as other mafia dons. He had morals. He knew right from wrong, and although he could whatever he wanted, he didn't. He had love in his life. His wife, Annika was his queen and the love of his life. Although their marriage was arranged, they learned to love each other.

Throughout their marriage, Annika grew pregnant a number of times. The two have 8 sons: the three eldest, Emiliano, Elijah, and Pavel, the triplets, Dimitri Dominick, and Dante, and the two youngest, Matteo and Ivan. As happy as the two were, they wanted a daughter and the boys wanted a sister. However, after Ivan was born, the family were informed that Annika could no longer have children. It could possibly be deadly to both her and the baby.

The family was incomplete for a couple of days when Annika finally spoke up. She couldn't stand not feeling whole. Annika sat her family down one evening and suggested adoption. Her sons and husband agreed immediately and the very next day, they were on their way to House of Peace Orphanage. The couple were there all day talking to and playing with the little girls. However, no matter how many they played with, it didn't feel right.

As Annika was resting in a chair, she noticed a small girl that she had not noticed before. She wasn't talking or playing like the other girls were. Instead, she sat in the corner quietly reading a book. Annika walked over and sat down next to her, waiting for the girl to notice her.

"What are you reading?" she asked after a minute. The girl's head jerked up to the newcomer and she smiled kindly at her. Annika's heart melted at her smile.

"Number The Stars. It's one of my favorites." she replied maturely.

"How old are you darling?"

"6. I was told that I've been here since I was a couple months old." she mentioned. As Annika talked with the girl, she found herself smiling, really smiling. In the middle of their interaction, Nickolai joined the two girls. He had been watching from afar enjoying the site of his wife talking with someone who could potentially be their daughter.

Sadly, the girl, Celeste, had to say goodbye to the couple as it was late and time for them to go. As soon as Annika walked through the doors of her home, she immediately called for her sons and told them about the day. The boys were eager to meet Celeste after their mother mentioned her interaction with the girl.

Over the next month, Nickolai and Annika went to the orphanage everyday to spend time with the girl. After the first week, they brought their sons with them. The boys and Celeste clicked and they played and talked as if they had known each other since they were in diapers. Celeste had also enjoyed spending time with the family. She found herself laughing, smiling, and talking more than she had in years, and she's only 6.

One day, Annika and Nickolai were visiting Celeste, but it wasn't going to be a normal visit. They were going to ask her something very important. The couple and their sons already knew that they wanted to, but they wanted her input and consent before going through with it.

The duo sat with the little girl they had come to love over the past month. She was reading to them and they listened to every word she said, completely wrapped around her little finger. When she finished reading the short excerpt, Annika addressed her.

"Celeste. Can we ask you something darling? It's very important." she asked and got a nod in reply. "Over the past month, me and my family have spent so much time with you and we all became very close."

"You are very special to us. We consider you as part of our family. And although the blood work may not show it, the bond you have with us does." her husband continued before she finished.