Chapter 28

Chapter 28

            David stood watching Granny hold Little Carrie while DJ talked nonstop. His chatter did not seem to annoy her. Occasionally she would reach over and stroke his face with the palm of her hand. Angel was helping me to clear the table. My brother, Jeremy and David were talking in the front room. Candace walked in with a glass of tea and Jeremy popped her on the butt as she sat down. They were nearly at their one year anniversary and she was five months pregnant with twins. I helped Angel load the dish washer and went in and sat on my husband’s lap. He kissed my nose then rubbed it with his.

We were quietly talking when I heard Barry White singing “Never Goanna Give You Up.” David looked strangely then reached in his pocket for his phone. The song stopped. One minute later the song started again. “DJ, do you have mommy’s phone?” He jumped down and ran in the room carrying my phone. “That is your new ring tone, baby.” I took my phone from DJ and pushed the number three to speed dial David’s phone. Within seconds Barry started to sing again. Candace and I look at each other and laugh. David smacks my butt with his open hand and smiles. “Didn’t you believe me? Baby, no one is chasing an old man with a houseful of kids. Plus I have who I want.”

I lean down and kiss him. I start to kiss him again when his phone rings again. I answer identifying myself as the speaker. The caller does not reply but continues to hold the line. I respond again then decide to hang up. David shrugs then takes his phone and turns it off. I do the same to my phone. We return to listening to DJ talk until I look at the kitchen clock and see Granny should be in the bed. We need to get our little ones in the bed for school tomorrow.  

                      I walk to where Granny is sitting and kiss the top of her head then her forehead. “Is that the sign I should go to bed too?”

 Everyone smiles but DJ looks confused. “Granny, do you have a bedtime too?”

She reaches to help him with his toy bag. “One day, if you live a long time,  you will be put to bed again too.”

 Everyone hugs or kisses her in turn. She takes Carrie in her arms and holds her tight. Her beautiful eyes stare at her great grandmother then she smiles. It is a Kodak moment and I notice Candace has snapped a picture with her phone. It is also a sad moment. Granny is eighty-five with renal failure. We all know time is not as long as it has been. She continues to look at Carrie, her name sake, then puts her on her shoulder and rubs her back then up to her head. A big exhale of breath makes me realize I have been holding my breath. David walks to Granny, kisses her fore head then takes Carrie in his arms. I take Granny’s arms and we head to her bedroom. Angel is holding her other hand. When I return, David has loaded our babies into his Lincoln Navigator.  My brother and his wife stay and watch television giving Granny time to doze.

**********

            The ride home is quiet. I look at my husband and he seems lost in thought. I’m sure he is thinking about Granny. I am sometimes amazed at how much he loves my grandmother. He was visiting and seeing about her before we began seeing each other. At a light, I glance at him again and find him looking at me. He reaches and touches my face. Words are not necessary. His look and touch just told me he loves me and shares my concern about Granny. I feel like he has covered me with a warm blanket while cuddling me in his arms. Laying my head against the headrest I think about a song my mother liked and played by Patti LaBelle. She said when a man falls in love with her he moved inside and decorated her like a house.  I did not understand at the time. Now I completely understand. David fell in love with me and moved into me. He decorated my life. He brought Angel with him and I loved her like she was my own. He gave me my son and I thought my joy was complete. I thought all my decorating was complete. He insisted on Carrie and I was not totally in agreement but her father knew best. She is a joy and delight. Came home from the hospital sleeping through the night and she is such a good natured baby. He covers me as a husband and his children as a father. We are supported and protected. His love for us has no boundaries. He is sexy and loving and I can never get enough of him. If I had to pick a song I would pick You Decorate My Life by Kenny Rodgers. It is who he is to me and his place in my life. Who knew? I wanted a decent guy, decent looking, independent, and good in bed. I did not want addictions-drugs, alcohol, women or gambling. I got David and everything I wanted. He did have two addictions but they were forgivable. He is addicted to me and his children.

********

I walked into my husband’s office and stood quietly watching his contradictions in action. He has been named man of the year, best dressed and leading bachelor. He is known as a hard but fair man in business and a badass where we came from. This morning he is standing in the middle of his office on the phone and I can tell by his tone he is not happy. His body language is tense and focused. He is biting out instructions and I almost feel sorry for the person on the other end. Listening to the conversation, I realize it is a plumbing contractor at one of the housing sites. The contractor has been behind schedule and a section of his work did not pass inspection. David would not have a problem firing or suing him if the matter is not corrected. After taking the guy’s head off, he looks down at his baby who is either asleep or staring at him with her big pretty golden eyes. I see his body language change as he relaxes while watching her. This is the father who bath, dressed and fed his child then brought her to work with him so her mother could sleep. Oh, I forgot. First he got his son off to pre-school. I watch mesmerized as his body language changes and he walks to his daughter’s seat. I hear her giggles and know she is awake just as I know he is all smiles. Carrie’s giggles get louder as he bends and picks her up. “I love you baby girl,” he says softly. She lays her head and places both hands on his shoulders. I walk up quietly behind him, place my hands in the back pocket of his jeans, and say, “I love you daddy.” He gets very still for a moment then relaxes, “Thank you, baby.” I want to take this moment and these emotions and put them in a safe for safe keeping. Why?