Chapter 4

Chapter Four

          David’s condo was in a beautiful building on Lake Shore Drive. The entry lobby let you know right away this was a special address. The lobby was polish chrome, black marble floors and granite stone walls. Beige tones bordered with black giant rugs were scatter near and under furniture. I would like to take the plants and paintings home with me.

          The doorman greeted Mr. Lawrence by name and nodded at me. David took my hand and headed to the nearest elevator. He punched in a code and the elevator quietly closed and whisked us away. I felt the familiar dropping in my stomach as it rapidly rose. By the time I wanted to protest the assent, the elevator stopped and the door opened. I was trying to take in the beautiful hall when he opened a door in front of me. The colors were so grand and the furnishings so beautiful I wanted to cry. 

          I stood in the doorway until he turned and realized I had not followed him into his unit. Right about now I would have been worried if I had not seen his enterprise, met his banker and attended the award dinner. A black man from the hood living this large would have screamed drugs, prostitution and the likes. Instead I smiled because David was proof the American dream was possible even for a kid from the hood. I was chasing the dream in St. Louis believing I could make a decent living and support my staff.

          “David, Granny will worry if I am out too late.” I say as I sit on his velvet sectional. Black art adorned his walls. One picture was as big as my dining room table at home. I turn and find him leaning against his desk his leg crossed at the ankles. He is looking at me like he is processing if we are going to talk. I assume he wants me to spend the night without upsetting Granny. I try to tell myself I owe him big – saving my brother’s life, taking care of Granny not to mention the shopping spree. I try to tell myself those are the reasons but I am remembering his kisses this morning, his arms around me at the dinner and how hot he looks right this minute in his tux. If he is as good as he looks and kisses, I may owe him a refund.

          “Quiana, will you marry me for one year then divorce me from St. Louis? Will you spend one week and two weekends a month with me during the year as well as all major holidays?  I especially need you to attend special events like tonight. I also need you to take pictures with me before you leave town. One of those pictures will appear in local papers and magazines as part of our wedding announcement.”

          I know my mouth is hanging open. This is the contract he wants to make? How can I live in St. Louis and Chicago? What about my new business? My business depends on my contract and document generation. David moves his arms from the edge of his desk to across his chest.

          “You are living your dream. I am building a dream in St. Louis. I generate the majority of our contracts and produce many of our documents. I also have a regular job with a social service agency. How can I be in two states at one time?”

          “Are you saying you would consider my request if I can answer your questions and concerns?”

          “Yes but I need to understand the whole deal. What am I signing up for?”

          David came and sat next to me. He reached on his cocktail table and picked up a picture.  It is the picture of a little girl sitting on a rocking chair. I recognize it as the chair in my grandmother’s bedroom. She is holding my old rag doll. I looked    up at David. “This is my daughter. Her mother and I went to college together. She is seven nearly eight years old soon. Long story short, six months ago DFS placed her in foster care here in Chicago. The judge is not impressed with my money. She wants to see a stable home. I believe a marriage will help me get custody of my daughter.”