Chapter 6

Chapter Six

          We had pulled up at the South Loop Hotel when I became aware of my surroundings again. The hotel was fairly new and so close to our old stomping grounds. It is black owned and operated. I wonder if he has made investments here. We went into the restaurant complete with white table cloths. From where we were seated, I could see a sports bar and sign saying South Loop Floral Gallery. The atmosphere was relaxing and just the right level of noise. David ordered for both of us then turned to me.

          “We have been moving at lightning speed since our conversation   yesterday. Can we talk? If you are sure can we set our date? I need to know we are still on the same page.”  He reaches for my hand and holds it across the table.  

          ‘David, you need to get to know me. I am not flakey but very dependable. If there was a problem I would tell you so we could talk.”

          “I was concerned because Helen told me about Pauline confronting you at the dinner.”

          “Is Pauline Angel’s mother?”

          “No! No way.”

          “Then we do not have a problem. Pauline is your problem and I expect you to deal with her. We don’t want an article in the newspaper about me giving her a black eye to stop us from getting custody of your Angel.”

          His laugh is wonderful and I can see him relax. I reach for my glass with my left hand while looking at my beautiful ring. “I thought you were right handed.”

          I laugh and admit, “I am but my new ring is on my left hand.”

          “Quiana, do you really like the ring,” David wanted to know while giving me a warm smile.

          “I really like the ring and the man who gave it to me.” His smile increased and his eyes grew warmer.

          Our salads arrived and we ate without talking for a while. I looked at him and found him looking at me. Occasionally he looks at my ring hand.

          “You need to know I like wheat or marble toast and herbal tea for breakfast. I prefer making love at night but if mornings please you, we can work that out. I have a clean bill of health three months old. I have not had a sexual partner in over a year so my report is current. I would like a report from you before we set a date. And FYI: the base of my throat works faster than the side of my neck.”

          David’s mouth is open and his fork mid-air. I tilt my head waiting on him to respond. He is quiet so I go on, “I had given up on marriage and my heart was broken to think I may never have a child. Now I am marrying and having a baby for the man of the year. I trust you and I believe you will love my child. I am excited about getting married. I am going to cram a lifetime into our eighteen months. David, I understand why you are doing this and I will stick to our agreement. Just allow me to enjoy being a wife, being your wife for our agreed time.”

          “My only problem with what you have said is how far you will be away from me. It is hard for me to imagine my child that far away too. I trust you and know you will be a good mom but I will be without both of you.”

          I watch him realize what he has just said. Confusion crosses his face then he seems to resign himself and looks again at my ring.

          “You will have your dream, Quiana.” He smiles and we eat the grill salmon just arrived at our table. It is delicious.  

          As we leave, David takes my hand and we go in the South Loop Floral Gallery. “I get flowers for Gran here. Today I have this need to get you flowers.” The shop is unique with lovely floral arrangements as well as unique gift items. He introduces me to Lyle, the owner, and asked for a floral suggestion for a lady traveling tomorrow. Lyle smiles at me and ask us to wait for a few minutes. I watch him take a long stem vase from a shelf and go to a back room. David goes to a glass refrigerated case and removes a beautiful arrangement I know he wants for Granny. Lyle returns with my silk arrangement and it is beautiful. I know instantly it will have a special place in my office in St. Louis.

          At Granny’s we sit in the car for a while talking quietly. “Please drive carefully. I miss our talks already. I will miss you.” I choose to not tell him how much I would like to stay for a few more days. How much I would like to spend more time with him. “What will you do while I am gone?” I am stalling because I want more time with him now. This has been a special day. 

          “Get your proof of a clean bill of health and apply for a marriage license. Today has been an amazing day. I need to walk you in right now or we will be at my house in my bed in the next twenty minutes.”

          “No, go home and clean up your little black book then your cell phone. You are going to soon be a happy married man.  I will see you soon.”

          “What is soon?”

          “Two weeks not more than three.”

          “Two weeks!” His face looks shocked. Then he starts to pout like a little kid. Am I going to have three kids to deal with? I watch him struggle with his emotions for another minute then reach for my door handle. As I start to open the door, he pulls me to him and kisses me senseless. His kisses are an astonishing combination of hard and gentle at the same time. Finally we can both breathe again.

“Think about that kiss all night long in my bed as my wife. If you can’t stay away for two or three weeks I will understand.”   As I slowly open my door, I turn to him and say, “You are still a devil.” I am out the car, up the lawn and putting my key in the lock when he catches me. He grabs me holding me tightly against his body. We both crash against the door in fits of laughter. As I catch my breath David leans down and kisses the base of my throat. It feels good and is my fault. I gave him that secret weapon. He runs his tongue gently up and down the hollow of my neck. I moan and put my arms around his neck as my grandmother opens the door. Oops!