Chapter 1

Chapter One

          My grandmother’s house was hot. She had suffered kidney failure and is now always chilly. The air conditioner was not on because she needed the heat. I kicked off my sanders and removed my long sleeve shirt. This left a cotton ribbed shell and Capri slacks. I wanted to take a minute to remove the spank worn and needed to please Granny. She never liked to see women with shaking butts. I could not convince her I spent many hours at the gym or working out to my Brazilian Butt tape so I would not shake. Well, not shake much.

  She was sitting in her old recliner, head against the back. To a stranger she appeared sleeping but I knew her too well. I walked over and rubbed her silky hair then kissed her forehead.

          “Can’t you see I am sleeping?”

          “Can’t you see I have dinner for you?”

          She raised her head and looked at me. It broke my heart. Her fair complexion had dark brown age spots. Dark shadows outlined her eyes. Her eyes looked tender as she watched me look at the needle marks and bruises on her arms.  I rubbed her arm then went to the kitchen to warm her food. I was putting her food on the table when she arrived in the kitchen. She seemed winded and frail. Again my heart broke.

          “When are you leaving?” she wanted to know as she picked at her food.

          “Probably tomorrow afternoon. I can get home and rest before Monday and a long day at work. Your home medical aide and bath aide will start then. I will feel better about leaving. I will be back in two weeks.”

          “I got a call and they can’t send anyone until Wednesday.”  

          Crap! I needed to get home and the sooner I got caught up on my office work, the sooner I could get back to check on her progress. I looked up and she was watching me with a combined hopeful and dismayed look. This woman had made many sacrifices for me and my brother. I owed her more than a push in the corner. I smiled and assured her it was okay. “Then I won’t be leaving until Tuesday evening.” Her look of gratitude caused me to look away so I would not cry. “Now what are we watching tonight?”

          I got her in bed by seven that night. I took a long bath and was in pajamas by eight. I lay across her bed to talk but she was sound asleep ten minutes later. I smiled and turned the television low and lights out. Retiring to my bedroom, I worked on my tablet until after eleven. I kind of remember turning the light out.

I was confused opening my eyes in a strange place. Then I remembered I was at Granny’s house and concerned she was up and cooking. I could smell coffee and smoked meat.