Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

Today is my day. I have an early morning appointment at the salon. Helen has me try my dress one final time. The dress is a simple ankle length slip dress but beautiful and makes me feel beautiful. There is a three quarter length brocade coat so I can wear it for another special occasion. I wonder if David will like it. According to his life plan, I will be his only bride so I want to be his beautiful only bride. My salon services include spa services. I wanted my skin pampered for tonight. I purchase body dust to give my skin a glow. It will be a contrast against my ivory dress. A hair ornament is placed around my hair. Later today my veil will be attached to it. 

          I am wearing Obsession for my fragrance tonight. A boyfriend once asked why women buy flowery fragrances when the average man likes bolder scents. Obsession is my new favorite fragrance. It is bold without being over powering. I want it to make David remember me when I am away.

          Everyone at the salon comments on how calm I am today. They have worked with brides and their parties for years and share some horror stories. I laugh while not telling my secret. David is my secret. He has been so generous and dependable. We have spent quiet evenings talking and getting to know each other more. He is my first call every morning and last call each night. When he says “hey, baby” I feel very special. 

          We have not talked today but I am sure he is wrapping up things for our weekend. The limo brings Granny to the salon as I am finishing my services. My driver loads my dress and other purchases. I decide to take the dress Helen ordered for Granny with me. At the house I put on my satin bonnet and lie down for a power nap. My phone rings as I doze off.

          “Hey, baby have you had a good day?”  He sounds relaxed too. “I knew you were downstairs but decided I need to stay away from you until this evening.

          “Why?”

          “If I see you or touch you for any reason I don’t know if I can let you go. This has been a true test. I have been thinking about and needing you since the day in the park.”  I am unable to respond. He sounds so sincere and I choose to believe him. I feel the same but I do not have the options he probably has available. We agree we are going to have a good weekend and hang up. He has a voice perfect for phone sex so I can’t talk too long and get into a conversation that may stress me before the wedding ceremony.

          I hear Granny come in and go to greet her. She looks so cute. We lay our dresses out on the beds. Granny has a dress, hose and shoes for Angel. All of us will match.

                          ********************************************

          We are at the church. Granny’s friends and church members have decorated nicely. The smell from the fellowship hall is mouthwatering so I am sure we will eat well. I get dressed then help Granny with just a little makeup. Helen helps me dress and we wait to hear David has arrived.

          At six I hear the music playing quietly. Occasionally an usher comes in to check and let us know he has not arrived. At seven I decide to take off the veil. Helen and Granny beg me not to get discourage.

          “Something must have happened, sweetie,” my Granny says patting me on my shoulder.  “David is a very dependable man.”

          “Quiana, David wants to marry you. He has been like a kid all week. Nervous but very excited. He loves you very much, honey.” Helen hugs me tight for just a second.

          I look at her then look away. Helen does not understand this is not a forever marriage. Maybe this is as simple as the price got too big in his mind. I make up my mind not to be angry – very disappointed but not angry. I stand up and walk to the floor length mirror. I would have made a beautiful bride. I am just sorry Granny will be embarrassed at her church. I reach to remove my ivory satin shoes as the door opens. Helen sees the usher motion and follows her out of the door. She returns in a few minutes full of smiles.

 “Quiana, David is here and wants to speak to you.” My heart falls out of my chest. I get up and walk slowly to the door. At least he came to tell me himself. I will not be angry. I will get over this but I must leave for home tomorrow morning early. There needs to be distance between us for the healing to begin. I had really started to want to be Mrs. David Lawrence and the mother of his baby.

          I opened the door and found David in the hall carrying his garment bag. He was pacing back and forth. The pain is too much and my tough girl image is blown as I start to cry. He grabs me in his arms and begs me not to cry.

“Baby, I am so sorry. I got a call from the attorney to come to a special hearing. I rushed to the court and waited and waited. All we could find out was something had happened to Angel.” My tears stop. I am instantly alarmed.

“Where is Angel?” I demand to know. He tells me she is in the rest room with Betty getting cleaned up. He said she was crying because she wanted to see me. I rush upstairs and find her putting on her tights and new underwear. She falls in my arms but not to cry.

“Quiana, I can live with you and my daddy now!” I am confused. We have to wait for a court date two months away. “My worker came and got me and all my clothes. Then we went to court for a long time. Now I can go home with you.” Betty smiles and starts on her hair. I go to find David who is outside the door.

          “David what happened?”

          “Her foster mother had a bad flood at her house and all the children were removed. My attorney filed an emergency petition and we were able to see the judge. The wait was long but the judge was in agreement she should not go to a group home. She released her to me. I mean us.

          Baby, I called you and Gran again and again but your phones were off. Please check. I left you at least ten messages. Please tell me we are still getting married.” I look at him trying to understand what he is feeling. He has custody of Angel now and no longer needs a wife but his eyes look worried.

          Angel comes out of the rest room. She looks like a real angel. “When are we getting married,” she wants to know. Her father looks at me and I say, “as soon as your father gets dressed.” He gives me a big smile, hugs me and goes to find a place to change.