Chapter 2

Chapter Two

          I was in my car headed to 95th Street to find this dress shop. After getting my driving bearings I located the address. I had parked and fed the meter before I saw the attached parking lot.

          The young woman at the front desk took Devil’s business card and went through a rear door after asking me to wait a moment.  She returned with a tall woman wearing a beautiful silk jump suit with a matching swing jacket. She was a perfect ten: make-up, nails, and jewelry all perfect. She had an ageless lady-like look but I guessed her to be in her early fifties. I smiled as she gave me a through once over reminding me I was wearing jeans and a tee shirt. Thank goodness I had ironed both garments. Habit made me apply make-up and basic jewelry.

          “Hell-o Miss Lincoln, I am Helen Trigg. Mr. Lawrence told me to expect you.” Her smile was uncomfortable but I extended my hand and a warm smile. After a moment she seemed to relax. “Let me see, you look like a size ten.”

          “I wish,” I responded. “Too much hips. I need a twelve for comfort.”  She asked me to follow her to a dressing room where there were five garments hanging.   I instantly looked at the top two because black is my favorite color. Both were beautiful and perfect for after five. Helen reached for the red and I had to take a second look. It was crepe with a satin under slip. It was sleeveless with a low back and mid-calf with a puff sleeve jacket and diamond like buttons. I looked at the red dress still struggling with black being my favorite color. I looked up and Helen was holding   a small satin box. I opened it and found stud earrings matching the buttons on the red dress.

“I wish you had this in black,” I said to Helen.

“We do but Mr. Lawrence wanted you to have this in red for tonight.” I looked at her in total surprise. How did she know about tonight? Okay, I decided to play this game.

 “Is this a special occasion?” I asked while looking at the final dress and seeming not real interested. “He is receiving an important award tonight.” She responded while looking at me with a questioning look. “Also, he said you were to use any of the salon services you wish. I looked at my nails and did quick checking account calculations in my head.

“Okay, I need a manicure and the black top dress. Then can you tell me where I can find a reasonable shoe store. I need heels for that dress.”

          I looked up in time to see the young woman at the counter storm out the front door. Turning to Helen, I start to ask her what just happened. The phone rang and Helen excused herself to answer. She looks boldly at me then turns her back and talks into the phone. I use that time to walk around and look at a couple of   pants suits while I am waiting. “Did you see anything else you like?”

“I like a couple of your pants suits. Maybe next time when I come in I can afford to get one. Can you hold the black dress for me while I get the manicure?”

          “Miss Lincoln, do you understand that Mr. Lawrence owns this building and all the enterprises housed here?”