Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty two

Granny took my hand and said she needed to talk. I followed her in the suite and back to her bedroom. She sat on the edge of the bed and patted the space next to her.

          “Quiana, this is my last trip to St. Louis. I ride with David because he always drives by my old house. I lived on Finny at Vanderventer on the second floor. My store was downstairs. I loved that store. Your dad stayed with me between his escapades. Stores had to close on Sundays but I was real busy on Saturday. I would bake pies for funerals and other special occasions. People started coming in ordering pies for Saturdays. It became nothing for me to bake fifty pies for Saturdays.

          When your mother took so sick after your birth I had to go. I promised my customers I would be gone a month. One month became two and soon we were at six months. I had my realtor sell the property. Baby, I loved that store. There were not a lot of black female business owners in that area at that time. One day I had to make a choice. You, your brother and mother needed me. I loved you more than that business.

          David drives me by there. Nothing is the same now. Everything I knew is gone. New construction and new people. Just like 39th Street. You may go to the picnic but where we lived is no more.”

                   DJ pushed on the door and came in and stood looking at us. After a couple of minutes he went to Granny for her to pick him up. He ignored me reaching for him still wanting Granny to hold him. “Quiana, your baby has begun forgetting you. My store is gone but I will always have you and your brother. Things pass away but love is forever. When God calls my name I can rest easy because you and your babies have someone who loves you.

          Your husband is across the hall resting. Go and rest with him then talk.”

          David opened the door and I attacked him. He was pushed against the wall and I was all over him. He laughed, recovered quickly and returned the love. I could not and would not let him go. He grabbed my bottom and pulled me up against him until my legs were wrapped around his waist. There were no words just the sound of us tearing off clothing and moaning and groaning. He carried me  down the long hall. We reached and crashed on the bed locked in each other’s arms. I had his shirt unbuttoned while he was trying to remove my top. It took a minute but we were soon undressed and getting down to serious business. I had tried to forget how delicious his kisses were but he soon had me well reminded. I held him close not wanting the loneliness to return. I needed to make him forget anyone and everyone but me and what we once had in each other’s arms. It was like our honeymoon replay. We finally came up for air. David raised up on his elbows and looked down at me.

“Hey baby” he said and kissed me again. I hugged him close and said the only thing I could think of, “I love you so much and miss you so bad.  Can I visit for a few days until I can get enough of your wonderful body?  I promise I will keep our deal. I will not try to stop you from moving on with your life. I have the papers and will file for the divorce when I come back.”  

“Baby, slow down please. You had me at I love you. I love you too. Please come home. I feel like I am losing my mind I miss you so much. I cannot be without you another day.” He said he loves me. It sounds and feels different.