Chapter 39

Chapter 39

          David was in our home office working on his laptop when I arrived home. I check on each of the children. Everyone is asleep. I sit in the office with David after I kiss the top of his head. He returns to working and I turn on my laptop to check emails and review a couple of reports. We are both quiet as we work.

          I am checking scheduled meetings and document generation pending. My heart wants to spend more time with Granny in the coming weeks. I reach in my desk drawer and pull out a Tootsie Roll Pop. Looking at the flavor I return the cherry flavor for a chocolate flavor. I look up to see David relaxed in his chair watching me. He smiles and pushes a button and the printer starts to print several pages. Again he is watching me.

          “Quiana, tonight I reread your letter to me. I am so sorry. We are a team – a good team and I should have discussed what was going on with the project. I just felt you had your hands full with your business and Gran.”

          “David, it is our business. The insurance is growing and the paralegal services are really doing well. You purchased the insurance business and gave me space. I have been a good steward of what you gave me.”

          “I’m still sorry. You need to know construction at the site is on schedule. I will be on site tomorrow. Now would you like to tell me what is on your mind?”

          “Granny’s time is pretty close. She told me a story coming home and I knew in my heart it is close now. I am going to contact the family and encourage visiting her soon.”

          “What did Granny say that has you so thoughtful?” I looked at him then bite into my Tootsie Pop. Now I have a taste for a strawberry pop so I reach in my drawer again searching for another pop. My nerves must be shot. The new pop is making my tongue very happy when I turn to find David slouched in his chair watching me with a wicked smile.

          “She said she would not live to see our last baby. It would be a boy with my eyes and your hair. She said I would have an easy delivery and he would be our biggest baby. Oh, and he would love to sing.”

          David’s smile gets wider then he glances at his watch. “Baby, let’s get ready for bed. It’s been an exciting day and I want to hold you and talk for a while. We both start to shut down computers and close the office. His arm is around my waist as we head to our bedroom while he tells me about Jeremy and how excited he is about his babies. We continue to talk in the shower.   

          David and I were spooning in our bed talking about a number of things. Angel wanted to go to another dance. This time with a boy from school. Neither of us felt she was ready for one on one dating. We did agree to invite the young man over for lunch and interview him. I told him Angel and I needed to go to lunch and shop after the move. We needed to spend some girl time real soon. He told me DJ wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I told him about a tenant at the Naperville center that sold instruments and gave lessons. David agreed to check the store out.    

His arms tightened around my waist. He kissed the back of my hair. Turning me over onto my back he ran his tongue slowly up and down the hollow of my neck. Lying against the pillow again he said, “Quiana, you are pregnant.” I started to sit up when he pulled me closer to him. “David, I am on birth control. I have not missed a cycle. Granny said I would have the baby in late April. That would make me nearly three months pregnant now.

          “Baby, you are eating Tootsie Rolls two or three a day. I replaced your stash yesterday. When I kiss or lick the hollow of your neck your pulse is always very, very rapid. Your hair is growing like a weed.   Yesterday when I replaced your candy I picked up a pregnancy test. Take it tomorrow and prove me and Granny wrong. In the meantime can you handle our son having your eyes instead of mine? I love your beautiful eyes just as you love mine.”

            I relax in his arms. I am going to take the test in the morning but I have peace in my heart. “This is really the last baby David. I am going to have my tubes tied after this baby.”

          I feel his smile against my face. I love my husband and our children. I love our life. I have never regretted the contract that was our beginning.