Chapter 32

Charter 32

            My cell phone rings as I head to my car. I have just dropped Carrie at the baby center. “Hello” I say as I open my door and sit down. I hear heavy breathing followed by Candace’s voice. “Quiana, I just heard Pauline Turner was attacked at her office yesterday. Word is she was raped too. A nurse friend told me she is in very bad shape. “Wow. She is not my favorite person but I hate to hear about any woman being raped or beaten.” We talk a few more minutes and I start the car and head to work.

            David’s car is on the lot when I park. As I head to the door, David walks out with two men in suits and they seem deep in conversation.  He smiles but the smile never reaches his eyes. He takes my hand and gently squeezes. Leaning down, he kisses my face and informs me he has a meeting and will return shortly. Something is wrong but I smile and return his kiss and go to my office. Looking out the window about an hour later, I see David’s car still on the lot. A tightness in my chest is unexplainable   and does not go away. Four hours later I drink a white soda thinking the tightness in my chest is gas.  David is capable of getting busy and forgetting about time but he generally checks in with me or his secretary when he is gone for hours. I ask Annette if David has called. She tells me no and he has missed a meeting with his banker.

            Instinct tells me there is a big problem. I reach for my phone and call David’s cell and it goes to voice mail. Next I call Charles Moore.

            “Charles, have you heard from David? I am concerned he missed your important meeting.” I added ‘important’ hoping he would think I knew what the meeting was about. It worked. As we talked and I asked a few questions, I get heartbreaking information. David had two investors pull out on the mixed housing project. He had needed more matching funds for his HUD funding because less than fifty percent of the housing was for low income families. The investors have pulled out because of personal cash flow problems. The bank could not finance the balance of the project without an immediate deposit of three hundred thousand dollars. The funds were needed by end of business Friday.  What else don’t I know? Is there someone else in his life?  Does he still love me? I put my head on my arms on my desk. I must reign in these thoughts even as I think about his lack of passion lately. He has been coming in late and leaving early. Several times I have noticed him sitting looking into space. Was he thinking about someone else? When did he start keeping secrets from me? My grandmother always said if you do one thing you will do two.     

            Four o’clock comes and I have still not heard from David. My cell ringing pulls me back in the present. I see a strange number. I answer and it is David.

            “Baby, I need you not to worry. I have been at the police station answering some questions about Pauline.

            “What kind of questions?”

            “She was attacked and seriously injured. They are looking at me for the attack.”

            “But why?”

            “One of her staff found her and Pauline told her I had attacked her. She has been unresponsive and not able to answer questions. Baby, I haven’t been charged officially but I have been told I am being held for questioning. It will be okay. You take care of my babies and I will see you soon.”

The line goes dead and my heart dies a little. He did not say he loves me. He has not said it all week. Maybe he is just in shock but so am I. No matter, if I had had two more minutes I would have said I love him and we will be okay.