Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

          I have been going stir crazy. The office is running fine and they need me less and less. David has been keeping me fairly busy doing paralegal services. I have worked an average of twenty hours a week this month. Today we are at the Ford City Mall. The baby’s movements have stirred me to shop. He does not flutter any more but kicks. I am buying some pretty basic items. David is carrying two shopping bags. Looking up I see the restroom sign and decide to make a pit stop. I rush into the stall to relieve my very full bladder.   

          “Well now I understand. You got David the old fashion way. Fell on your back and got accidentally pregnant.”

          I am in the restroom washing my hands. What is it about this chick and restroom cat fights? I glance at her and then check my cell phone. I read a text from David and smile. He wants to know if I fell in.

          “He won’t stay after…”

          “Walk away Pauline,” I say as I turn and look steady in her eyes. “You don’t know me. You are silly and catty. I am a hood rat and I cover all the ground I stand on. Next time I am going to whip your butt.” We have a staring match that she loses. I picked up my bag, walked out the bathroom and into my husband’s arms.

          Pauline is shocked a moment later when she walks out and into me and David. For a second she looks at him hold me. “Pauline, never speak to my wife again or you will regret it.” She walks away. “So I’ve been told” she says over her shoulder.

          “Are you tired, ready to go?”  He wants to know while gaging my mood.

          “As soon as we go to the toy department we can leave. I need a couple of rattles and a doll. He smiles and shakes his head. He takes my hand and we head to the toy department. I spot a beautiful chocolate doll. As I reach for the doll hot liquid rushes down my legs. The liquid is followed by a sharp pain and I double over. I grab David and he half carries me to a chair nearby. He reaches for his phone and calls for an ambulance. I am pulling myself together as he hangs up. “I am okay David. I can walk to the car.”

          “Baby you are not due for seven weeks. We are not walking to the car.”

I have another opinion to voice as a second and harder pain rocks my body. I hold on to David’s hand for dear life. I have just changed my mind. “I need to go to the hospital. I’m scared, David.”

          “Hush baby. You are going to be okay.”  He embraces me and holds me close. I feel safe until another pain hits. This is too soon. Everything seems to happen at once. Two security people arrive. The EMTs arrive with a gurney. I look down and see blood.     

             **************************************************

          Things are a blur. We are in the ambulance. Then we are at the hospital. A doctor comes into the room and examines me. I am being wheeled to delivery. I have a pain that does not stop. I hear myself crying then screaming for David then Granny. A needle goes in my arm and a mask over my face. I try to fight the mask but I can’t raise my arms.…