Chapter 30

Chapter 30

            Mother’s Day at the Lawrence house always starts with French toast and hot chocolate. It is an old Lincoln family tradition David remembered from youthful days at our house. Carrie is drinking a baby version in a Sippy cup. It is barely warm with more milk than the other cups. Everyone is bathed and in a stage of dress. Angel and I are in robes over underwear. David is dressed without his shirt and tie. I drink my hot chocolate and watch his arms in his athletic undershirt. He catches me watching him and winks with a big smile. DJ is completely dressed so his dad put a towel around his neck to protect his shirt and tie. I reach for Carrie to wash her hands and face then dress her. She has a beautiful pink lace dress with a petticoat. Granny got her pink shoes and a little purse.

            Today we are having dinner here. David is having it catered so all the women can enjoy without cooking. I know he wants Granny to rest so dinner is not being held at her house. I have been attentive also but without disrespecting her personal space. Since learning of her medical decision, I have called everyday as usual. Our conversations have been pleasant but I have not mentioned the treatments. I respect her right to not have the dialysis treatments but I want to keep her here with us as long as possible.

            Today I just want the family to have a quiet day. The church service was encouraging and dedicated to Granny. The Lawrence women all wore pink and white. Granny and David were delighted with our outfits. The men served us and cleared the dining room table. The children have gone to their territories and Carrie is sleeping against her father’s chest. I start to stand up when Granny touches my hand. I settle in my chair again.

            “I have had a good life.” My Granny looks around the table and each of us get an opportunity to have her focus and she smiles. “I have no regrets and no fear. God has been good to me and so have each of you. Jeremy, I have asked God to allow me to see your babies. Quiana, I ask him to allow me to see your last baby. If he chooses to call me home before then, I want you to know I appreciate you and David naming Carrie for me.

            David and Jeremy, I need you to promise me you will continue to love Quiana and Candace. Let nothing separate or come between you. Your marriage and your children must always be more important than fame or success.

            Last, I need all of you to trust God and see no one greater than Him. My church is a good church. I want you to come more than Easter and Mother’s Day after I go home. Support Pastor Little please. He is a good man.”

            Around the table there is silence and tears. We all listen in respect to this woman who has meant the world to us. She has been our strength many times, now we must be strong for her. I want to fall on my knees before her and beg her to take the treatments. Please give us just a little more time.

            David is sitting across from me. I glance at him and his tears have soaked the front of his shirt. Turning to Granny I do not see any tears. She is smiling and seems so at peace. This is a Mother’s Day we will all remember because it is probably our last Mother’s Day with her.