Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

            I struggled all the way to Springfield, Illinois. I wanted to turn around and return to Chicago and look at wedding dresses until David got off work. Then I wanted to spend my nights in his bed as his wife. By the time I reached St. Louis I was really rolling and my head had started to clear.  

          At two o’clock I pulled up at my office. I went in carrying the long stem vase with the silk flowers. Pat Steward, my partner, was glad to see me. I got two hugs before I reached my office. After chatting I went online and checked our bank balance. We have three thousand dollars which should have allowed for the rent, phone and electric due next week. I checked online to review the Lawrence Enterprises account using the codes Charles had emailed me. The opening deposit was five thousand. One rent payment of two thousand dollars has been deposited. I suddenly have ten thousand dollars at my disposal.

          Pat and I worked until six that evening. I had sent an email to her asking for her thought process on how to put our little company on the map. At five o’clock I got her reply. It looked like the business plan I had created   before we opened. I sent her my new plan ten minutes later. It included a line item for advertising beginning immediately. We often went to a Chinese Restaurant with a food bar after work on Wednesday. My last email asked her to meet me there by seven. I put my plan and a copy of her plan in my purse and reached for my shades. I take another second to think about why I am able to have this meeting and sit down reaching for my telephone.

“Hey, baby.” I instantly have flash backs from memories of our days together.

 “Hey, yourself.” I have to start at the beginning. “David, you opened my account with a deposit I am very grateful for. Thank you.”

I do not make promises or offer to repay him. I am excited for the opportunity the money will afford my company. In exchange for his kindness I plan to divorce him and not require child support. The service will grow and I will be able to take care of my baby. I know David will spoil him and never let him want for anything. I know my only child will be a boy. A son who will have a great dad.

***************

          The meeting went very well. We agreed we needed an assistant capable of typing 80-100 words per minute. Most important we needed to advertise. Pat was excellent with desktop publishing and promised to start on a design for our ad first thing tomorrow. My major had been marketing with a minor in accounting. I would outline an advertising campaign. She suggested community newspapers. I added the St. Louis Post Dispatch and St. Louis American. I was holding my big idea for our next meeting. Tomorrow I would check the cost for one of the billboards across from the office. It was exciting to make plans to leap frog our business. It was interesting Pat never asked where the money was coming from.  

          I arrived at home excited. The possibility for expansion existed in our building. There is an office next door if we need more space. David was giving me the chance to prove I could have the successful business I had dreamed of.

          I walked in and noted the dust on all surfaces. I hated dust with a passion but tonight was not for cleaning. I headed for the shower where I spent time unwinding. I stepped out, reached for my cell and my house phone started to ring. I lay across my bed then reached for the phone.

“Baby, am I the only one not able to sleep thinking about our parting kiss?” I roll over on my back and reach for my big fluffy pillow.

“Yes because I am going to hug this big pillow and pretend it is my big handsome husband. He is going to have a wonderful time putting me to sleep.”

          “What is Mr. Pillow going to do?” His voice is hot and sensual.

          “Spend the night tight between my legs.”

          The clock on my nightstand ticks softly. I can hear his soft breathing   then he sighs. “Quiana, you are going to drive me mad during our eighteen months together.”

          “Yes I am. Okay, tell me what I can do to drive you mad.”

          “Wear the baby doll pajamas.”

          “But I sleep nude.” He exhales followed by a soft groan. “How do you sleep?”  I want to know more about his very personal life too.

          “Alone. I am trying to wrap my mind around coming home to a wife nude in my bed.”

          “David, why did you not marry?”

          “My mother married three times and my father four. Seven marriages and I never saw one good marriage. Always the yelling, screaming and broken promises. The kids always hurt and disappointed. I like being single. If the yelling and screaming starts I walk away. I generally dated on a   ‘we are just kicking it’ bases so everyone understood I like being single.”

          “But you are marrying me.”

          “For eighteen months while you live in another state. No reason to fight. Just make mad love and enjoy each other before you leave.”

          “Sounds like one long romantic date. I can’t wait.”

          We talk a few more minutes and agree to talk later this week. I am challenged. I don’t want to wait until later this week. His calls have become important to me. He has become important to me. Can he go days without talking to me? Let’s see.