Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty                             Two months later

David was having Saturday morning coffee with Gran. She was eating cheerios and banana and coffee. She watched him pushing food around on his plate.  He had looked so sad for weeks. She knew the agreement to live in two cities would not work. Now two children were involved in their foolish decision. Little DJ would have to be without his dad and sister while living in St. Louis. Now he is without his mother.  How can a young newly married couple live apart so often.

“David, I never interfered in your marriage but you and Quiana cannot have a good marriage spending all this time apart. People get married to live together not apart.

“I know, Gran.”

“Look at your baby. He looks sad and he hasn’t left you yet.

“Quiana went to pack her condo. He will not go until she has a place and is settled.” DJ reaches in his father’s plate and takes a hand full of eggs and smashes in his mouth. They laughed and David got up to clean DJ’s hands as the doorbell   rang. Granny stood up and headed to the door. David heard her exclaim, “Oh my God!”

          It was a real surprise. Jeremy Lincoln stood at his grandmother’s door. After embracing his grandmother he grabbed David who was holding his son. The yelling and crying startled DJ who cried and refused to let Jeremy hold him. Every-one finally settled down and DJ sat on his father’s lap and watched his uncle closely. He had not decided if he liked this new person talking to his daddy.

          It was late by the time the house had settled. David had picked up Angel from a play date. By late evening the men were settled at David’s house. His children were asleep and he had to face his friend and answer the big question: why Quiana is in St. Louis and her family in Chicago? David poured them a glass of wine and settled in to talk. He was at his wit’s end with missing and needing her. He told his friend the whole truth. Jeremy was quiet while watching his expression. He could see David was sincere and hurting.

          “I asked you to look out for Granny and Quiana because I knew you dearly loved both of them. I did hope you and Quiana would end up together because I knew she loved you too.”

          “Jeremy, how does everyone know Quiana loves me but me? I have been telling her I love her for weeks but she still packed up and left. She seldom calls and seems to tolerate my calls. Man I miss her so bad. I am having trouble sleeping, no appetite. My bed feels empty and so does my life. Your sister was a good wife and mother making my life so complete. Now I’ve got this big beautiful house and no one to share it.”      

          DJ wakes and his dad jumps up when he hears him cry. Jeremy watches him rush to see about his child. When they returned, David hands him to Jeremy while he goes to get a bottle. DJ watched his uncle while rubbing his sleepy eyes. Jeremy lifts his nephew up in the air and watches as the child starts to smile. “That’s right little man. You can smile because your uncle is going to fix this mess. I promise you your mama will be home soon.”

          David returns and is happy to see his son playing with his friend. Jeremy looks up and tells David, “Get some sleep bro. We have a road trip tomorrow.”