Chapter 31

Chapter 31

            Carrie has a beautiful bedroom perfect for a little girl. Tonight I did not want her away from me. Without discussing, I sense David wanted her in here with us too.

            Something woke me from a light sleep and I checked to be sure Carrie was sleeping.  I also checked her diaper to be sure she is comfortable. Returning to the bed, I hear faint sounds coming from the bathroom. I listen and hear water at a low pressure and an occasional sound I can’t make out. I went and quietly opened the bathroom door. The lights are on a low level. David is in the shower which has a glass enclosure. I see him against the wall in the corner. His face is in his arms pressed against the side wall. I watched the trembling in his shoulders and hear what I now know to be a sob. There is no need to ask if he is okay nor what is wrong. I saw his tears earlier tonight and know he is grieving for my grandmother. I stepped out of the gym shorts and pulled my T-shirt over my head. I opened the shower door and went to him. He startles for a second as I circle his waist and laid my face against his back. I kiss his back gently then hold him tighter. He relaxes in my arms and continues to cry. I feel the tears began to roll from my eyes also as I share his pain. After a few minutes he turns in my arms and embraces me. A chill gives me goose bumps and David turns off the water and wraps me and a big fluffy towel. We dry each other off and head to our bed. I slide under the cover while David pulls on silk boxers then checks Carrie. He gently strokes her head then bends and kisses her face.

            He comes to bed unapologetic about the tears continuing to flow down his face. As soon as he lies down, I reach to hold him again.

            “Quiana, you asked me that first day why I was so comfortable at Gran’s house. The answe is she saved my life.”

            He turns on his side and looks at me with beautiful sad eyes. “Many times she fed me and sometimes sent a plate to my mother when there wasn’t food in our house. Once, my mother’s husband had beaten her. I walked in the door as he had raised his hand to hit her again. I grabbed his hand and he transferred his rage to me. He beat me and threw me out and locked the door. I finally went to your house. Gran didn’t say a word. She cleaned up my swollen face and mouth and then she heated and fed me a big bowl of soup. I spent the weekend sleeping in your bed.”

            “Where was I?”

            “You were in St. Louis on spring break visiting your father. That is why I love her so much and do everything I can for her. Now I feel so helpless. I can’t keep her alive and she seems so at peace with dying. My problem is I don’t know how to live without her.” We hold each other and share our grief. We are going to be sure to continue to love each other as we have promised Granny.

We are talking quietly when Carrie starts to coo from her bed. She is my strange and beautiful baby who rarely cries. I pick her up and bring her back to our bed. She crawls over to her daddy and starts to play with his arm. I fell asleep listening to him quietly talk to her and her baby talk and occasional giggles.

DJ burst into the room and I realize it is morning. He is ready for breakfast. I reach for my robe at the foot of our bed and send DJ to the kitchen. Turning, I find Carrie asleep on her father’s chess. His arms band her and both of them are sleeping like babies. I gently kiss each of their foreheads and head to the kitchen to fix breakfast. Another day has started at the Lawrence household.