Chapter 4

"I have bad news and good news," I launched right into it on my way home from work without bothering with the usual pleasantries.

"Good news. Give me the good news first," Billy's voice filled with defeat.

"I can come and visit," I proudly announced.

"Oh, so, what's the bad news?" I could tell the little wrinkles were forming between his eyebrows and stifled a giggle.

"I can't come on Wednesday," I deliberately saturated my tone with dejection.

"Oh, Thursday then?" There was a mild disappointment, but I could tell he was trying to stay optimistic that I was coming.

"But, and only if you're okay with it, I can come tomorrow." My smile stretched my cheeks so far they ached.

"What? Really? Tomorrow? I'm buying your tickets right now. How early is too early?" Billy's enthusiasm was infectious even through the phone.

"You give me a time, and I'll be there."

"Well, there's a flight in two hours. You could be here by midnight," he teased.

"You book it, and I'll be there." I pushed through my apartment door to find my roommates lounging in the living room. I gave them a friendly smile without breaking my stride to my bedroom.

"Seriously, I'll book it unless you say no." His voice was lower as the jest faded.

"Seriously, I'm packing as we speak."

"Done, the confirmation should be on its way. I'm going to see you tonight."

"Yeah, you are, but I have to go, or else I'll miss my flight."

"Okay, I love you. Call me when you land in Chicago."

"I will. Make sure you pick me up!"

"I'll try not to forget, Lil." His tone was sarcastic.

"You better not. Oh, and I love you too!"

I hung up and frantically packed all the clean clothes I had available. It wasn't until I was waiting at my gate that I realized that Billy had purchased me a first-class ticket. I immediately texted him a strongly worded reprimand.

"It was the only seat left," he quickly shot back.

"Even in text, I can tell when you're lying to me," I tapped back to him.

"Have a safe flight!"

I let out a chuckle at his closed response as my flight was called to board. Boarding with first-class made me feel like an imposture; I wasn't a first-class girl. The seat was more comfortable than my bed, which didn't make it any better. I tucked my headphones in and stared at the setting sun out my window, hoping to avoid the condemning eyes of people passing to the other classes.

I was startled back to reality when the young, well-dress businessman next to me nudged me. I turned to find a flight attendant with an overly pleasant smile on her face staring at me.

"Can I offer you a beverage?" It was not her first time asking.

"No, I'm good," I smiled as I began to plug my headphones back into my ears.

"It's included," the man next to me winked. "I got the champagne." There was a playfulness to his smile that made me chuckle. "Don't make me drink alone." He drop his head a bit as he gave me a puppy-dog plea complete with wide eyes. 

"Okay, I'll have a glass of champagne too," I agreed with a giggle. 

The flight attendant nodded and continued on her way.