Chapter 43

A car service picked me up when I landed in Duluth. I chucked to myself and texted Sam.

"See, I'm not crazy!" He texted back, and I knew he felt validated.

Pulling up to Billy's farmhouse was still a sight to see. How close it had been to my vision always stirred something in me. I could see the family roaming the living room through the front windows. Tim and Billy chatted by the turntable. Tess, Mary, and Sarah chatted from their spots on the couch and chair. It was homey and welcoming, but still made me pause. Suddenly, this didn't feel like my life. I didn't belong here. I belonged in Maine with Sam. Instinctively, my hand lifted to my necklace as a small sense of relief calmed me.

"Hey," Billy popped his head out the front door. "Forget how to use a door?" He teased.

"Sorry," I absently said as the last of the thoughts slipped away. "Long day of travel."

"Come in. We'll only hold you hostage in small talk for dinner. Then you can run away to your room," he promised.

"Deal." I smiled.

We stood there for a moment as the chill of the evening invaded the day and gazed at each other. At the moment, I could feel us change more than any declaration had ever enacted. Words weren't needed; life had just taken care of it. I expected a sense of mourning, but there was no loss. Billy was right in front of me, holding his door open.

"I hope this never changes," I murmured as I neared.

As though he had heard my thought, he responded with, "I'll make sure you get a key."

It was deeper than an 'I love you;' it was an 'I'll be there for you.'

"Look who I found lurking around the front," Billy announced as we joined the others in the living room.

"Call the cops. She looks nefarious," Tim teased as he approached for a hug.

"You'd never!" I jested back.

"Yeah, I'm more of the guy sitting next to you in the cell than the rat that put you there," Tim agreed.

"How are you, Timmy?" I asked as we hugged.

"Getting married. Can you believe it?" He squeezed me as he spoke.

"If I didn't know Tess, I'd say no way, but you two make me a believer."

"Okay, okay. You have to share her since you commandeered her for all of life," Tess poked from behind us.

"What?" I asked as Tess and I embraced.

"Oh, you didn't hear the plan? Even though you are my maid of honor, Timmy called dibs on you this week," Tess complained.

"She was my best friend first. Sorry, not sorry." Tim shrugged.

"Um, what does that mean? Because I'm not going to a strip club," I winced.

"Neither am I," Billy announced from his spot on the couch with his arm around Sarah.

"Road trip," Tim announced. "The three amigos and one itty bitty living space." Glee permeated his voice.

"No," I deflected.

"Oh, yes," Billy confirmed. "Sam shitty Winnebago that brought the band together the first time."

"I'm both horrified and jealous," Tess laughed.

"What?" I was still in shock.

"We leave tomorrow. We're going to hit up a Cubs game in Chicago and be back for Friday night's rehearsal dinner." The excitement bubbled in Tim's words.