Chapter 33

I don't recall getting upstairs, the sound of Billy kicking the door shut, or the rush as he let me fall from his arms to the bed. I snapped back to life when he gazed down at me. We weren't friends. It was both terrorizing and tantalizing at the same moment. As he gazed down at me hungrily, there was no way of pretending.

"Sarah," I managed, as Billy leaned into me.

He stopped dead, hovering awkwardly a few inches over me. "What the fuck, Lil?"

"And Sam," I added.

His hands fell on either side of me, catching his weight as his head dropped so his forehead rested on my collarbone. "Fuck, fuck, fuck," he groaned as he warred with himself.

"We're supposed to be friends, break-up buddies." I let my hand rise to his hair as I spoke.

"You're killing me here. Weren't you the one that said break-up buddies meant casual sex?" He didn't look up at me, but I could hear the frustration in his voice.

"Weren't you the one who said you don't have casual sex?"

He flopped onto his back next to me. "I just can't catch a break with you."

"If Sarah were here, you wouldn't want me. We're just comfortable," I reminded.

"But Sarah isn't here because she dumped my ass. And not to pour salt in the wound, but Sam hasn't been ringing your doorbell."

My mind whirled on Billy's words. Sam hadn't reached out to me, but he asked my mother about me. I had thought that meant he was still an option, but he was only reaching out to my mom, never to me.

"Sam's been texting my mother," I murmured.

Billy rolled over and propped his head on his hand. "Has he now?" There was still energy rolling through him like thunder threatening on the horizon, but he was attempting to collect himself.

"Yeah, he's been asking her about my job search prep; he was helping me a lot, so he probably just wants to make sure his efforts weren't in vain."

"Oh, we both know that's not true." Billy's hand absently lifted to smooth my shirt.

"Do we? You stayed in touch with my dad," I reminded.

"Yeah, but I consider your dad a friend, and we never talk about you," he reminded me.

"Never?" There was a hint of hurt in my voice.

"Sorry, but no. There are many things to discuss with a man like your dad, and, like you don't care to speak about me to others, I don't care to speak about you to others."

I let out a sigh. "What do you talk about?"

"Music, history, books we've read." Billy's eyes slipped from the room as his mind whirled through his conversations with my dad. "He asks about some of the places I've been. He's interested in many things. I never know where the conversations will go."

"Mmhmm, that sounds like my dad."

"So, Sam is texting your mom about you?" He was distracted now, but it differed from when his thoughts were on conversations with my father.

"Yep, I thought it might mean there's a chance we'll get back together, but..."

Billy cut me off. "That's exactly what it means."

"I don't know," I shrugged.

"No, seriously, that's what it means. When you get home, reach out."

"Well, things are different between Sam and my mom." I met his eyes. "For one, she likes him," I teased. "Do you think I still have a chance?"