Chapter 25

Sam said his surprise plans called for casual attire, so I threw on the same red sweater and jeans from earlier. He wouldn't give me any other hints as we trudged down the sidewalk toward downtown.

"Dinner?" I asked as we passed various restaurants.

"Are you hungry?" He teased.

"No," I admitted. "Drinks?"

"Lil, you don't drink," he said, shaking his head at me. "You'll see soon; just be patient."

I sighed and sunk into his side as we passed City Hall and continued past the big tree in Monument Square. We approached the Westin, and I looked up at the big red Eastland sign. Billy was probably already across the street at The State. As if on cue, I felt a buzzing in my chest at his nearing proximity. I wondered if he would feel it too, before shoving it down as a silly thought.

Sam slowed as we passed the theater. "We're here," he smiled down at me.

"Where?" I asked, looking around at the line.

"Here," he motioned his hands to the theater. "I thought you might like to see someone creating music in this century," he teased.

"Here, music, tonight," I sputtered.

"Yeah, it's Billy Collins. I figured you liked the one song; you may like others. It was just announced like a week and a half ago. I can't believe I even got tickets." He was lost in his own babble of excitement.

"So, we're going inside." I nodded. "To see Billy Collins."

"No, I figure we'd just loiter around outside," he teased, but it caused my mind to flicker back to Billy standing outside Geno's on that warm spring night.

"You're excited, right?" Sam had a hint of concern on his face.

"Yeah, of course," I lied.

It was going to be okay. I was sure the seats were tucked in somewhere that Billy wouldn't even see. It was going to be fine. Still, my feet nervously shuffled as we edged closer to the front of the line; the buzzing in my chest expanded to my arms and legs. We were about ten people back from the front when I heard my name, and my heart sunk into my stomach.

"Lil," Roger's booming voice soared above everyone else's. "Girl, why are you waiting in line in the cold?"

"Hey, Roger," my voice creaked.

"Come on; I'll bring you in the back. This old place is crazy." Roger, Billy's long-time security guard, babbled. "You can just tell when a place is haunted. I walked through a cold spot earlier, and you know it was someone. I don't know who, but it was someone."

Sam and I followed Roger as he continued to babble about ghosts like the old friend he was.

"How are you doing? Been a while since I've seen you around." He gave me a cheeky smile and eyed Sam.

"Yeah," I awkwardly stammered. "I was surprised to see you out front; I thought you were usually at the back door."

"Oh, I'm head of security now. I'm wherever the hell I want to be," he joked.

"Oh, congrats!" It was the first genuine moment I had in the conversation.

"Okay," he said, holding the door, "in you two go." He ushered us in the back door. "Have fun," he called after us before closing the door.

"So, I take it you've been here before," Sam teased.

It was an easy out that Roger was an employee of The State and not part of Billy's team; I was still okay. We'd make our way to our seats and then be fine. Still, my anxiety was rising at the mounting lies.