Chapter 39

"Sweetie, you don't need to do that," I heard Billy say as I made my way down the hall to the kitchen.

I entered to find Billy sitting at the kitchen bar as Sarah whizzed around the kitchen. Billy looked a bit tired as his eyes lifted to meet mine when I entered.

"Hey," he perked up a bit.

"Hey," I smiled at him and Sarah. "What are we up to?"

"Sarah is making appetizers," Billy nodded.

"Oh, sounds great!" I nodded.

"I just don't think your mom should have to cook everything every time she comes over," Sarah said as she tucked a pan into the oven.

"But my mom wants to cook everything when she comes over. She likes to cook," Billy offered.

"Well, maybe she pretends to like to because you all expect her to," Sarah replied.

"I think it's a very nice gesture, and I know Mary will appreciate it," I offered to Sarah.

"Thank you. I just hope she likes Clams Casino." Sarah smiled back

"Oh," Billy and I said in unison.

"What?" Sarah's face whipped back and forth between us. "What?"

"My mom will appreciate the effort," Billy soothed as he slid from behind the bar and headed towards Sarah. "She's just allergic to shellfish."

"You have got to be kidding me," Sarah groaned. "Perfect. She's allergic to shellfish. How could you not tell me?"

Billy set a hand on each of her shoulders. "Babe, it is going to be fine. It's the thought that counts."

I had to turn away. Frustration was mounting in me that Sarah was blaming Billy for not telling her of Mary's allergy, and Billy's kind reaction only inflamed the anger brewing in me.

"It's fine," Sarah angrily shrugged off Billy's hands as she twisted to the oven. In one swift movement, she slipped the pan back out and dumped it in the trash before charging down the hall.

"Sarah," Billy called after her.

"I'd let her cool off a bit; otherwise, you might end up like the clams," I offered.

"Yeah," Billy agreed as he inspected the trash. "I'm just going to get rid of the evidence," he added as he bundled up the trash bag.

"Smart man," I agreed.

"You want to see where I plan to put the barn?" He asked.

"Yeah!"

I followed Billy out the front door and down the porch.

"So," he began as he tossed the garbage into the bin. "I plan to put the barn there and then have a driveway along the side to lead around back to a car garage."

"Yeah? No parking cars in the barn?" I asked.

"Nah, some chick gave me an idea to build a barn with a studio up top and a practice space down below," Billy noted.

"She sounds smart and really pretty," I teased.

"Maybe I gave you too much confidence earlier," Billy shot back. "So," he continued as we headed back inside, "how concerned are we that everyone hates everyone?"

"Wow, not sugarcoating that at all," I laughed.

"I call 'em as I see 'em. Sam hates me; Sarah hates you. Sarah hates me when you are around. Sam hates you when I'm around. This is about as disastrous as you can get."