Chapter 54

When I looked over the jukebox and found the ten songs I had pulled for Tim were still the first ten on the machine, shocked rattled me. I absently started Monster Mash to entertain Viv while the moment overtook me. After all these years, Billy hadn't moved them. They were staring back at me. I shook it off and set Twist and Shout, Tutti Frutti, and Rockin' Robin figuring three songs would tire Viv out. I was wrong. I was dangerously close to the end of Rockin' Robin, and Viv was twirling and skipping with no sign of slowing.

"Are boys allowed yet?" Billy asked as he rounded the bottom of the stairs with Jackson in his arms.

"Daddy, swing me!" Viv cried as she hugged his legs.

"Jackson, may I have this dance?" I asked, and he reached his chubby little arms around my neck.

I added Love Potion #9, Hippy Hippy Shake, and Build Me Up Buttercup to the lineup. When I turned around, I found Viv cradled in Billy's arms, swinging to the music.

In life, there are moments when you witness perfection, a quiet moment so beautiful it hurts. This was one of those moments. Billy and Viv were so serene in each other's orbit that everything in the world felt right. My chest swelled with how much I loved Billy and the perfect little family he had created.

Jackson pulled me back to earth when he tugged on my earlobe. I continued to sway him to the music as he rested his head on my shoulder. Before the three songs were over, both Viv and Jackson were asleep on our shoulders. Billy settled Viv on the couch first and then gently took Jackson from my arms and laid him on the sofa as well.

"Dance with me, Lil," Billy quietly spoke as he punched in a familiar number. I didn't need to guess what song he picked; I'm Your Puppet swirled around us as Billy pulled me into his arms.

"Jackson pulls on earlobes. Good thing I never got my ears pierced," I murmured as I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Mmhmm, he's gentle. He's never pulled too hard on Sarah's earrings. He does that when he's tired. It means he's comfortable with you."

As the song wound down, Viv's small voice came from the couch, "you dance more." She sounded like she was still mostly in a dream.

"Yes, ma'am," Billy agreed as he punched in another song, and Pink Thunderbird flared around us.

Billy spun me around the living room, eliciting giggles from Viv and me. He even capped the song with a lift.

"Come on, you," his voice had a tease as he swept Viv up in his arms. "Naptime," he added as he nodded to a passed-out Jackson.

After picking up Jackson, I followed Billy and a cranky Viv up the stairs.

"I can't sleep; I have things to do with Lily," she protested.

"Lily will be here when you wake up, and you can do all the things then," he promised in a calm, low voice.

"Why do I have to take a nap?" Despite her objections, sleep filled her voice.

"Viv, I promise you, one day, you'll look back on these naptimes with envy," I sighed. "I think I'll take a nap as well."

"Mmhmm, family naptime," Billy absently echoed.

Viv didn't put up much of a fight once Billy tucked her into her bed; her eyelids were too heavy to fight. Jackson didn't stir at all the entire time.

I leaned against the wall outside Jackson's room. "It's been an hour and a half, and I'm exhausted," I announce.

"You chose a dance party. Pro-tip, you'll never have more energy than a four-year-old; energy is their superpower." In his pause, he inspected my face. "Nap?"