Chapter 22

I'd never been to an office party, let alone an office holiday party. As I got ready, I felt the bubbling of nerves, which led me to fixate on my appearance, as nerves often do.

"Wow," Sam's voice came from the doorway in a wash of breath. "You look amazing," he added as he moved behind me and clasped the necklace I was fumbling to clasp.

"Do I really? I've never been to an office party before." My nerves cracked the words as I continued to adjust the velvet material of my emerald dress.

"Babe, you look stunning. I have half a mind to skip the party entirely; I'm not sure if I want to share you." His arms snaked around me as he rested his head on my shoulder, meeting my gaze in the mirror.

"You promised me dancing," I argued.

"Oh, we can do plenty of dancing here," he teased.

"No, I want to dance on a floor to bad song covers and, hopefully, beneath a disco ball."

"I suspect you'll be in luck, and with a bonus of bad buffet food."

"Mm, dry chicken; you know me so well." I leaned into him and enjoyed the feeling of his lips trailing up and down my neck before adding, "hey, can you take a picture of me? I want to send one to Tess; she helped me pick out my outfit."

"Well then, thank Tess for me as well." He smiled as he took my phone, snapping a few pictures. "Send one to me too. I think I have a new background. We should get one of the two of us when we get there. I know my mom would love one," his voice was trailing off as he struggled with his tie.

"Let me," I offered as I fixed his tie for him. "And my mom would love a picture, too. Remind me if I forget."

Sam kissed my temple as a thank you for fixing his tie while I turned my attention to texting the photo to Tess. I paused for a few seconds to see if she would respond, but the bubbles never appeared, so I tucked my phone into my purse and checked my lipstick.

The party was just as expected. The cocktail hour was filled with awkward chitchat with strangers to me and acquaintances to Sam.

"Sorry," Sam murmured between random conversations. "I'm on the road so much that I don't know people too well except Kel...." He was interrupted before he could finish.

"Sammy?" A voice soared above the chatter's volume, clinking glasses, and lame elevator holiday tunes.

"Kelly," Sam's voice also became more boisterous as he greeted the woman with a hug. "I want you to meet Lily," he added as he pulled away. "Lily, this is Kelly. Kelly, this is Lily," he looked hopefully between us.

"Hello," her smile was slightly too broad, making it immediately off-putting. "I'm Kelly, Sam's work-wife. He's told me so much about you."

I gave her an awkward laugh at the greeting. Sam had not mentioned Kelly once, and I was sure I'd have remembered a 'work-wife.'

"It's nice to meet you." I managed.

"So, where's Mike?" Sam asked as his hands fell to my hips and pulled me closer to him, soothing some of my discomfort.

"I'm solo tonight; he had a conflict," Kelly absently shrugged as though she were talking about a misplaced cup of coffee.

"Oh, bummer; I wanted to rib him on the Jets," Sam playfully added.

"Maybe that's why he bailed. But headliner of the party, look at you two." Kelly eyed us, including a slightly too-long gaze at Sam's hands resting on my hips.

"Hey, can you get a picture of us? We want to send one to our parents." Sam shifted from me to get his phone from his pocket.

"Well, that's adorable," but how she said it felt demeaning. Still, she snapped a picture and handed the phone back. "I should go mingle, but I'm sure I'll see you two later." She winked at Sam as she moved on to another group of people.