Chapter 29

"Where are you?" The phrase could have sounded urgent or angry, but it was playful and impatient from Billy.

"I'm on my way... I see trees."

I'd driven myself to the cabin from Portland rather than ride with Tess and Tim. Mostly because Tess had warned me that Tim had insisted on 'road-trip food.' Having spent a summer with Tim and Billy in a van, I knew 'road-trip food' made Tim gassy.

"It's a cabin in the woods; I need more than 'I see trees,' Lil." His throaty laugh followed his words.

There was palpable energy coursing through the phone at our nearing proximity. As much as I enjoyed Christmas with my family, I'd been daydreaming of Mary's cooking, gossiping with Tess, and laughing with Tim more since I had given in to Billy's constant nagging to come to the cabin. And Billy, my mind filtered to Billy in nearly every quiet moment. The success of our recent friendship filled me with bubbling excitement.

"I think I'm here. Do you see headlights? Am I in the wrong place?"

I didn't need to wait for an answer. The front door burst open, silhouetting Billy in a golden light. I hadn't even come to a stop before he was charging the car and ripping the driver's door open.

"There's my girl," he quickly pulled me from the car and into a full bear hug.

"Billy Collins, are you out in the snow with bare feet?" I scolded.

"Yes, ma'am." Another husky laugh erupted from him as he buried his head in my neck. "I missed you, Lil."

"You can miss me inside." I tried to push away from his vice-like hold, but he wasn't having it. "Billy!" I demanded with a laugh.

He set me down but insisted on getting my bag rather than heading straight in.

"Billy, no shoes," Mary chided.

"Sorry, mom." There was more of a mournful tone when he apologized to his mother, which pulled another chuckle from me.

"Lil, you look too thin! Come on; I'll fix you a plate." Mary's promise of food was all the pull she needed to make me follow her anywhere.

"Are Tim and Tess here yet?" I asked as Billy and I followed Mary to the kitchen.

"Of course. I'm sure Tim is in the kitchen," Billy offered.

Sure enough, once we turned the corner to the kitchen, there was Tim, picking mac and cheese casserole out of the pan with his fingers. His eyes flickered up for a moment before returning to the food while his mind registered what he had seen.

"Lilipop, you finally made it! You missed an epic, albeit short, road trip." He engulfed me in my second bear hug of the hour. "Thank goodness you're here; I actually thought Billy was going to die of anticipation," he added as he swung me about like a rag doll.

"Oh, shut up." Billy landed a punch on his shoulder.

Tim winced as he set me down and rubbed the spot. "I will not retract my statement, even in the face of physical violence." He then raised his voice to call out, "Tess, get down here. The bands finally back together."

In short order, my final greeting was done, and the five of us settled around an expansive dining table as I shoved in mouthfuls of whatever Mary passed my way.

"So good, but so full." I leaned heavily into Billy's shoulder as I finished my third meatball. "Your mom is the best cook."

"I know, and she knows." He pulled me in tighter and kissed the top of my head.

"So, you've been excited to see me," I teased.

"Don't be mean," he shot back with an extra squeeze.

"I've been excited as well," I freely admitted.

"Hey, you two, what's the plan for tonight?" Tim interjected, causing me to pull away from Billy.

"It's the day after Christmas; I have a puzzle to begin." Mary's eyes gleamed with excitement. "Billy got me a great one this year; ten thousand pieces of a snowy cabin in the woods, very fitting."

"Can I help?" Tess eagerly asked.

"Of course, the more, the merrier. My goal is always to finish by the New Year," Mary explained.

"I was thinking about watching a movie," Billy offered with a wink in my direction.

"That sounds fun," I jabbed him with my elbow. When left to our own devices, movies were our thing. "Can we watch in the living room so we can all be together?"

Billy nodded in a manner that caused him to curl closer to me. "You have any requests for movies?"

"Nope, you pick." Despite my lack of hunger, I started on another meatball.

"Wait, what about presents?" Tim burst like a child.

"Geez, Tim, what are you six?" Billy griped.

"Yes, I'm six, and I want my damn presents. You're the one that made us wait until Lil was here. Well, Lil is here, and I want my presents," Tim complained.

"You didn't have to wait for me." My voice was hushed.

As our eyes met, his annoyance at Tim's outburst melted away from his shoulders. "We did some, but I wanted to have a Christmas with you, too." All at once, the easy sweetness of Billy hit me like a bus. He could read it on my face and pulled me to his side with a kiss on the crown of my head. "I love you too, Lil."

"Aw, so sweet. Let's get to some unwrapping," Tim prodded again.

"Dude, did you ever think that flying you across half a country to a cabin in the woods for a vacation was your present?" Billy shot over my head.

"That's not a present; that's the beginning of a horror movie," Tim fought back.

"Tim!" Tess scolded. "Billy, thank you again for inviting us to this beautiful cabin. I'm sorry for my immature boyfriend." Tess drove an elbow into Tim's side.

"Boyfriend?" I whispered to Billy, shaking my head. Tim had been carrying a ring around for nearly six months.

"Boyfriend," Billy murmured back his affirmation. "I'll fill you in later."

"Are you two done whispering?" Tim grumbled again.

"I'll go get my presents from the car." The warmth of Billy's side made me reluctant to pull myself away.

"I'll help," Billy offered.

"Fine, but you have to put shoes on this time," I conditioned.

"Yes, ma'am," he agreed with a subtle nod to his head that made me giggle.