Chapter 38

"So," Billy began again as we left the bathroom. "That was the bathroom and laundry room," he teased. "This is where we basically live," he announced as we entered the kitchen, which opened to the dining area, and then the room shifted to the left, past the front door to a living room.

"Is there where we live?" A woman teased Billy as she separated from the group, still huddled around the front door. "I think this is where I spend most of my time while you and Tim lurk down in the basement." She slid beneath Billy's arm in a familiar way.

"Lil, this is Sarah. Sarah, this is Lily," Billy proudly introduced.

A warm smile filled Sarah's flawless face. Her skin was perfect, with a smooth, sun-kissed complexion that accented her high cheekbones and blue eyes. She had carelessly pulled her dirty blond hair back into a messy bun that left perfect little tendrils to frame her face.

"I've her so many wonderful things about you. I must admit; I'm a bit intimidated to meet you." She accented her compliment with a measure laugh that didn't dare ebb towards a giggle.

I let out a laugh. "Right, you're intimidated by me! You are... well you," I stammered. "And Billy, I mean, he raves about you."

Sarah dipped her head as though she were blushing, but a flush didn't tarnish her face.

"Well," she continued as she lifted her face again. "I hope you are feeling better."

"I am, thank you," I responded, as an awkward tension built between Sarah and me.

"Darling, why don't you show Lily and Sam to their room? I'm sure Lily will love to see all the time you spent on it." She accented her suggestion with a wince of a smile that made even more awkward tension build.

"Yeah, good idea," Billy said with his own tight wince of a smile.

Out of habit, Billy picked up my bag and slung it over his shoulder, eliciting an eyebrow raise from both Sam and Sarah that didn't go unnoticed.

"Are you okay?" Sam asked as we followed Billy down the hall, past the bathroom, and to a staircase in the back.

"Yeah, I think the plane and car ride just got to me." I didn't want to relive the panic attack. I could talk it through with Sam that night.

"So, this is your room," Billy murmured as he pushed open the door.

It was a magnificent space. Two large floor-to-ceiling windows looked out over the backfield. It blew in waves that reminded me of the ocean, but this ocean was golden from the sun beaming down on the tall grass and peppered with purple and yellow wildflowers. Beyond the field was a forest that looked straight out of the fairy tales my father read to me when I was a child. The view drew me to the window in a trance.

"It's so beautiful," I murmured.

"I thought you would like it." Billy's face filled with a pleased smile. "The fireplace is gas," he noted as he picked up the remote. "So, no need for you to play with fire," he teased as he flicked on the fireplace framed by the windows. "Through there," he motioned to a door on the right side of the bed, "is the bathroom with the soaker tub separate from the shower because I know you hate feet."

"They're gross. People literally step on them all day. I can't relax in a tub where people have been continuously stepping in as a shower. It is just not leisurely," I explained, knowing that Billy had already heard this rant.

"I know, babe. I've heard your opinion," as Billy spoke, his dimples appeared, revealing his tease. "That door on the other side is the closet. This is your turntable, obviously," Billy added as he paced to a nearby console table. He opened the doors beneath the turntable to reveal a curated record collection. "Tim and I stocked your favorites," he noted. "And over here," he crossed the room past the sitting area in front of the fireplace to a similar console table, "is your bookshelf. Your dad helped pick out the book selection," he murmured a bit sheepishly.

"Billy, it is stunning," I said, in awe of the beautiful room.

"Yeah," Sam added from behind me. "You really put a lot of thought into what Lily would like."

"Well, I wanted to ensure you were comfortable when you came to visit. I knew you'd like the windows. They remind me of the ones from the cabin." Billy slung an arm around me as he followed my gaze out the window.

"It is just like the cabin. I can't believe how beautiful it is. I love this backfield." As I spoke, I leaned into Billy.

"Yeah, Sarah really wants to mow it down, but I knew you would like the field." Billy dipped lower and added, "and I like it too. At night, glow bugs float over the whole thing. It's like the stars are playing tag."

"I love that." I smiled at Billy's description.

Sam loudly plopped his bag on the bed and unzipped it.

"Right," Billy said as he shifted away from me. "So, I'll let you two get settled. I think Tim went to pick up Tess and my mom."

"Is your mom making dinner?" I excitedly asked.

"Of course. Do you think she'd let me cook after our last disaster?" Billy joked.

"Absolutely not!" I agreed. "Sam, you are going to love dinner. Mary is the world's best cook!"

"Sounds good," he absently mumbled as he busied himself with the contents of his bag.

"I'm going to go. We'll be downstairs." Billy slipped away into the hallway.

"How great is this room?" I asked as I unzipped my bag.

"It's certainly tailored to you," Sam agreed as he picked up a stack of clothes and headed to the closet. "You've got to be kidding me."

"What?" I asked from the bedroom.

"There are clothes in here. He stocked clothes for you," Sam announced.

"What?" I giggled as I followed Sam into a closet that was the size of my old apartment. "Holy shit, this thing is huge!" I inspected the clothes. "This is probably just some of Sarah's clothes that didn't fit elsewhere." But as I spoke, I noticed my old Coca-Cola sweatshirt that I thought I had lost months ago. "I must have left it at the cabin," I said to myself in relief.

Sam continued to inspect the clothes. "Lil, these are all for you. They are your size and your brands. These are your clothes. I would put money that in that bathroom; all your favorite products are in there."

Before I could answer, Sam slipped away. "Yep," he called out. "What the fuck, Lil?" Sam asked as we met in the bedroom.

"What? He is my friend and knows what I like."

"Really? I have lived with you for months, and I couldn't stock a closet for you," Sam argued.

"I'm pretty sure that is more of a reflection of you than Billy."

"I'm serious, Lil. What is the deal with you two?" Sam pressed.

"There is no deal. We're friends. Do we really have to go over this again? I just..." My words dropped out in exhaustion. "The whole point of this visit is for you to get to know Billy and for me to get to know Sarah."

"Yeah, because she seems super chill with this shrine he's built for you," Sam shot as he tossed his phone charger back into his bag.

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh, don't act like you didn't notice the chill when she mentioned all the time your friend Billy spent on your room."

"Sam, I'm not doing this. We are here so you can get to know my friends. If you can't do that, maybe you should leave."

"Maybe I will," Sam threatened.

I threw my hands up. "That's your decision to make. I hope you stay. I want you to get to know the people I consider family, but I won't force it. Either way, I will be downstairs having a good time with my friends and celebrating my graduation."

"Lil," Sam called after me, but I didn't stop. I just headed back downstairs.