Chapter 18

My relationship with Sam was, dare I say, fun. He had just been through the conversion from a college student to a working semi-adult, so it was a comfort to learn from his experience. Even when he was traveling, he quickly responded with his resume and cover letters to help get started. He even passed along sample interview questions he got from his company's recruiter. Suddenly, the transition didn't feel stressful; it felt exciting. Even on the weekends, he was enthusiastic about wandering Portland because I fixated on working downtown. Portland had become part of my blood; I was sure I wouldn't be able to survive away from the salt-infused air.

It had been just a few weeks, but things felt serious with Sam. He fit with my goals, my life, and my geography.

"Boo," Sam moaned as I opened my door to him dressed as a ghost.

"I'm sorry, did you just wail a boo?"

"Yeah, I'm a ghost. Ghost moan and say boo," Sam plainly said.

"Yes, independently of each other. Boo is quick. Like you jump out from behind a door and scream, boo. A ghost wail and long and low," I explained.

"Why have you given so much thought to what ghosts say?" Sam cocked one eyebrow up in the way that he knew I couldn't resist.

"No, no sexy eyebrows. I take ghosts very seriously. If you don't respect the spirits, they could turn on you," I shot.

"I once had some tequila turn on me. I thought we were friends. We had spent so many great nights together. Then, one spring break in Miami, we were not friends." Sam's mournful tone came as though he had actually lost a friend and not just had a night of drunken debauchery.

"Wrong kind of spirits," I groaned. "When you wake up cursed, don't blame me."

"I plan on waking up next to you, and I would never classify that as a curse." He swooped closer to me as he spoke and circled me with his arms. "I love your costume. Dorothy, right?"

"Yep, I've always wanted to go as Dorothy to a Halloween party, but I've never gotten my act together to pull it together until this year." I smiled as I twisted my ruby slippers on the floor. "I found the dress at a consignment shop on Congress," I added.

"If I had known, I'd have paired my costume with yours," Sam noted as he helped me with my coat.

"Yeah? Which character would you have gone with?" I prodded, as we headed out to his car.

"Hmm, good question. Certainly not the scarecrow, because I like to think I have a fair amount of brains," he began.

"Agreed," I concurred as Sam helped me into his car.

"And definitely not the tin man. I know I have a heart because of how loudly it pounds whenever you're around."

"Aw, that was so sweet that I'm going to ignore how cheesy it was," I teased.

"So, I guess that leaves me with the lion... roar."

"I don't think of you as cowardly," I noted.

"Mmhmm, that's because you didn't see me standing behind you in line at a soup place for five minutes trying to think of a way to talk to you," Sam laughed.

"Really? You seemed to do fine," I said as I slid into his side.

"Yeah, well, I had to do something. You were about to slip into the crowd. I had to come up with something."

"I like you that were nervous." I sighed.

"I like that you said yes when I asked you out." As he spoke, he kissed my forehead.

I squeezed his arm tighter before adding, "I wish we were already on our way home."

"Yeah? I'll turn the car around. We can go home and spend the night looking for Oz," he offered.

"No, we already left. But maybe we make it an early night," I enticed.

"You say the word, Lily. I'm ready to go home whenever you are."

I smiled to myself as I thought of home. In the front seat of Sam's car, clutching his arm, I felt at home. I wasn't worried that he would be gone the next day for who knows how long. I didn't fear that life would change him. Things could move slowly; we could move slowly. We could change and grow together.

"Sam," I asked into the warmth of the car.

"Mmhmm," he prodded, without taking his eyes off the road.

"I love you." I plainly admitted.

"What? Lil, no. Not while I'm driving." Panic ran through Sam's voice, but it didn't extend to me. I let out a small giggle as he pulled the car over to the side of the road. He peeled me from his side and cupped my face. "Of all the times you choose while I'm driving in the dark," he complained as he jutted his hand up and hit the dome light.

"I'm not sorry." I smiled at him.

"You're not sorry." He shook his head at me, but not in disbelief. It was as though he had expected it from an ill-timed quiet moment.

He held my face in his hands as his warm brown eyes gazed over me. "Lily Turncott, I love you. I wonder every time you take my call or open the door for me how I got so lucky. And I also wonder how you wrapped me around your little finger so damn fast. But I love you, too."

"It's the spirits. If you're nice to them, they'll be nice back," I teased.

"No, Lily. I am in love with all because of you. You get all the blame," he countered.

"Blame?" I poked.

"Mmhmm, stealing the heart of a lonely boy. It's very unkind. I should get the chance to give it away." Sam was so close I could feel his breath flow over my face.

"I'm sorry," I pouted.

"Apology accepted. And, since you are clearly so sincerely sorry, I offer you my heart. Please take care of it for me; it's the only one I have to give."

"I'll take care of yours if you take care of mine."

"I will guard it with my life," Sam agreed before closing the last inches to meet my lips.