epilogue

Time had passed as it inevitably does, bringing the now happily married couple everything they could've ever wanted.

They both managed to survive college, graduating right on schedule. Thankfully the perfect jobs were out there waiting for them as soon as they got those hard earned diplomas. El had gotten her dream job, working for a well known newspaper right there in town. Mike was also pretty satisfied where he was too, as he was making his way up to assistant editor at the publishing company he worked for.

They still lived in their cozy little home, only now it held a few years worth of memories with their four legged baby. Much to El's surprise, Mike had grown to love their dog, like really love him. It seemed that he finally understood why his sister acted the way she did with her dogs because he treated Vader like it was his actual child. He was always carrying the dog around and talking to him in that baby voice that people do. El never failed to tease him about that.

As for El, she loved Vader too, but he had really been testing her patience lately. If he wasn't tracking mud through the house, he was chewing up something. Like right now, she had just finished yelling at him for chewing up one of her new shoes. Sure, she had left them lying by the front door, but their pup knew better than to use something of theirs as his chew toy.

El quickly handled that situation, giving the dog a stern scolding before getting back to cooking dinner. Usually, Mike was the one to cook for them, given his expertise and all, but he had to work a bit later today so she took it into her own hands to get it started.

She still wasn't the best cook, nowhere near it actually, but Mike had taught her a lot over the years. He always stuck with the easy stuff, considering the fact that she could barely cook frozen pizza in the oven without something going wrong. And after tons of practice and only two complete cooking disasters, she had actually managed to perfect a few dishes.

Even with her limited skills though, she still secretly panicked the entire time if he wasn't there with her. All it would take is one wrong step and everything would be ruined.

Luckily, she heard the front door open about halfway into it. Mike was finally home from work, meaning that he would be around to help her out with dinner if she needed it. She really hoped that she wouldn't need his help, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

"Hi, baby." Mike spoke softly from behind her, as he wrapped her up in his arms.

El grinned at the sound of his voice, leaning back into the comfort of his embrace. "Hi."

"Well, I was actually talking to her..." He muttered, gently rubbing his hands along her protruding belly. "But hello to you too."

"Oh okay, I see how it is. You just pop a bun in my oven, then forget all about me." El teased, as she spun around in his arms.

"You're the love of my life, baby." Mike beamed, fiercely delivering a kiss to her cheek. "I couldn't forget you no matter how many little versions of you I help bring into this world."

"Good." El then leaned up and planted her lips on his, happily reveling in the kisses she so rightfully deserved after being away from him all day long.

"So how was work?" She asked, once they'd parted, still as close to one another as they could be with her big belly being in the way.

"It was good, I actually got a lot done today. Dustin came by around lunch too, and dropped us off a gift since Lily wasn't able to come to the baby shower."

"Aw, that's sweet! What did they get her?"

"I haven't looked, figured you'd want to open it together."