keeping it simple

↬ 17 ↫

Valentine's Day.

It's a day solely for expressing affection toward those we deem important in our lives. We shower them with gifts— cute sentimental cards, boat loads of candy, bouquets of the loveliest flowers and the occasional stuffed animal or two.

Mike planned on doing every single bit of that for El, even though he basically already does. He's not one to shy away from showing affection toward her and the same could be said for El, as well.

This day had to be a little more special though, since it would be El's first time to celebrate the holiday with a boyfriend. Mike wanted to go all out, to give her a day she so rightfully deserved. It was just a little hard to plan anything too big, since both of their days were packed with work and classes.

He just wanted the world around them to slow down so they could have more time together. Really, he wanted all the time in the world with her. He would never part from her side if that were possible, but unfortunately, it was not. So, he would gladly take all that was given to him.

Whether they had the time or not though, he started his planning a couple of days before the holiday, trying to figure out what all he could do for her.

In true Mike Wheeler fashion, he immediately began to stress out, thinking that something wouldn't be enough or that it would be too much. Of course, El noticed his worrisome state right away and managed to force it all right out of him.

There wasn't much she couldn't get him to do, not when she gives him that certain look of hers that renders him powerless.

El was flattered that he felt so obligated to make the day perfect for her, but insisted that he shouldn't spend time worrying about it, that he should keep it simple. So, that's exactly what Mike did. He may have amped up one or two things, but for the most part, simple.

And before he knew it, the day arrived and Mike had found himself outside her apartment door at seven in the morning. She had class to get to soon and since he refused to wait until later that evening, this was his only chance to give her all her gifts.

He stood there for a little bit, trying to figure out how exactly he was going to even turn the doorknob with all the gifts he had in hand. Somehow though, he managed to shuffle things around in his arms, turning the knob as quickly as possible and nudging the door open with his foot. He had to leave one of her gifts outside, seeing as it was much too big to carry in, but that worked out, since he wanted it to be a surprise anyway.

A few seconds after Mike had closed the door, El came out from her bedroom, already grinning from ear to ear.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" She squealed, rushing across the room to get to him. As soon as she had, Mike felt her lips delivering soft kisses all over his face, before finally planting one on his lips. 

He pulled away with such a huge grin, feeling incredibly flattered by the greeting she'd just given him. "Happy Valentine's Day to you, my insanely beautiful girlfriend."

"Wow! Are these all for me?" She asked, noticing exactly how much he was holding.

"Of course they are!" He nodded, looking down at everything he had gotten her— a bouquet of sunflowers, more candy than she could possibly eat, two heart shaped balloons and one of those giant cards.

"So much for keeping it simple, huh?" El teased, before graciously accepting his gifts. She went over to set all of them on the table, grabbing his on her way back over to him.