she's my favorite

↬ 12 ↫

"Mike, you're not keeping my dogs!"

"Nancy, please!"

"No."

Mike huffed out a rather irritated breath, before attempting to convince his sister one more time.

"Fine. How about just one then?"

"Okay, three weeks ago you didn't want any of them. Now here I am, picking them up earlier than agreed on, might I add and you suddenly want to keep one? What gives?" Nancy questioned, eyeing him with skepticism. 

Mike debated on whether or not he wanted let his sister know about El, but he knew his sister and he knew that this could only work in his favor.

"Okay so, you know the girl that lives across the hall from me?"

"The rude one?"

"Yeah, but she's actually not rude at all. She's nice, like so nice it's unbelievable."

"Okay and how does that concern my dogs?" Nancy snapped while folding her arms across her chest.

"Well, one day Coco got loose and sh-"

"Wait what??"

"Relax." Mike shrugged carelessly. "She ran straight to El before she got to the parking lot."

"El?"

"That's her name. Anyways, El loved Coco and all the others, so she started coming over almost every day to see them and we've gotten really close and I just don't want to do anything that could possibly mess that up!"

Nancy looked as if she were deciding whether to believe him or not, narrowing her eyes at him for a good minute before she sighed. "Are you really going to use my dog as a wingman?"

"I guess I am, but I'll give her back I swear!"

"Her?? Oh no, you're not taking Coco!! You know she's my favorite!"

"Yeah, but she's El's favorite too. Look, you're always telling me I need to get into a serious relationship! Well, this could be my only chance! I really like this girl Nancy... and she just so happens to like your dogs." Mike grinned, giving his sister a look so hopeful he knew she couldn't turn down.

And he was right, because a few seconds later, she was groaning, letting him know that he had won her over.

"Fine. Take her."

"Yes! Thank you!" He shouted happily, rushing forward and wrapping his sister in a gracious hug. She hugged him back, shaking her head against his chest.

"I better be the first one you tell about your engagement when that time comes."

(spoiler alert... she will be)

Nancy left not too long after with her dogs, leaving Coco behind, along with Mike's well earned three hundred dollars, just in time for El to arrive at his door a few minutes later.

He hadn't seen her since last night and it was driving him to the brink of crazy, especially since they had you know, kissed multiple times and he had actually told her how he felt about her.

He was grinning from ear to ear before he even opened the door to find her on the other side.

"Hey!"

"Hi, Mike." El said shyly, grinning in a way that was so unbelievably cute, he wanted to kiss her right then. And he would have, he really would have, but she looked as if she had more to say and he wasn't going to stop her.

"So about last night..." El started, her smile falling a bit as she chewed at her bottom lip. "I know I didn't really say anything about my feelings, but I just want you to know that I didn't just kiss you to kiss you. I kissed you because I, well I-

Mike knew that she was nervous and he also knew what she was trying to say. Really though, she didn't even have to say it, he knew exactly how she felt.

"El, you don't have to explain anything."

"Yes I do, because I don't want you to think this is some casual, meaningless thing to me. I really like you Mike, more than I've ever liked anyone before and I know we haven't known each other long at all, but you make me feel things that I didn't even know I could feel. So, yeah... I, well that's all I guess."

El looked at him expectantly, like she needed to know his thoughts on it all and Mike only knew of one way to let her know how he was feeling.

"Come here." He reached out for her, bringing her close to him and smashing his lips to hers in an instant, the amazing feeling he had been introduced to last night feeling even better this time.

El kissed him back even harder, her tiny hands gripping on to his t-shirt as her lips chased his.

After a moment or two, they pulled away, both with the happiest of smiles plastered on their faces. Mike couldn't resist pulling El into his arms, his chin resting on her head as she wrapped her arms around his waist. It was incredibly comforting for the both of them, it feeling as though they were specially made to fit one another.

"Uh, did a miracle happen and they all decided to go to sleep at the same time?" El laughed, as she looked around the room, not finding any dogs in sight.

"No, my sister took them back." Mike informed her, stepping back out of her embrace to properly gauge her reaction.

"Oh no."

"But don't worry!" He spoke up, as soon as her face had fallen. He whistled and Coco came running out from wherever she had been lying around. "She had to leave this one behind for a little bit."

"Oh my god! Coco!" El giggled as she bent down to pet the dog now jumping excitedly at her feet. "She's my favorite, you know?"

"Oh really?" Mike asked, the words full of curiosity, as if he didn't already know that she was El's favorite. "You wanna take her out for a walk?"

"Yes!" El immediately picked up the dog and cuddled her in her arms, nuzzling her head against Coco's golden fur. "You wanna go out for a walk girl? Of course you do!"

Mike laughed to himself at the sight, as he attached Coco's leash to her collar. He then grabbed his keys, locking the door behind them and the three went on their way.

El's hand slipped into Mike's, threading her fingers through his just as they had made it to the bottom of the steps. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze and they took off strolling down the sidewalk.

They walked around for awhile, hand in hand, Mike listening to the sound of El's sweet voice as she told him about her crazy day at work. They couldn't seem to stop stealing glances at one another as they talked, their faces adorned with soft smiles the entire time.

It didn't take long for Mike to decide that if he had to spend the rest of his life doing exactly this, then he would certainly die a happy man.

This was everything he had ever wanted and it was so blissfully perfect. He couldn't wait for what was to come in his life, now that El Hopper would be a part of it.