i see smiles

↬ 20 ↫

"Mom! Do not show him that one!"

"Honey, it's an adorable picture!"

"I was naked!" El exclaimed, before trying to snatch yet another old, incredibly embarrassing picture out of her mother's hand.

"You were three years old, it's not a big deal." Terry scoffed, her attention shifting toward the amused boy sitting next to her. "Look, Mike. Wasn't she adorable?"

"Very." Mike chuckled, looking over at the picture of a young El, with a wide grin on her chubby face as she bolted through the living room. "Her lopsided pigtails are my favorite though."

"Oh yes! They nearly reached her little tush!"

"Ugh, can you two please stop?" El whined, while dramatically shoving her face into her hands.

Mike laughed softly as he leaned toward El, kissing her right on the cheek. "It's okay, when you meet my mom, she'll do this exact same thing."

"Oh, good." She grinned, certainly satisfied at the thought. "I can't wait to make fun of all the weird things you did as a child."

"Well, I can assure you that you'll have plenty to work with. I was a pretty strange child."

"Oh, I bet." El teased, sharing a playful look with him, before focusing back on the photos in her hand, ones that were taken at her fifth birthday party.

Each of them had their own stacks of photos, pulling out the ones they found to be worth sharing. El chose the cuter, more sentimental ones, whereas the other two tended to stick with the most embarrassing ones they could find of her.

"Hey, look at this one. You had on a Star Wars shirt." Mike pointed out, this time going a little easier on her with his choice of photo. In this one, El was simply grinning at the camera, as she held up a light saber, her mouth full of gaps left behind by lost teeth.

She smiled to herself, the memory faintly flashing through her mind. "See, even as a child, the force was with me."

"You're such a nerd." Mike told her, though he knew he was just as much of one as she was.

El faked offense to his comment, before lightly nudging his arm. "Yeah well, you love me even more for it."

"You're absolutely right." He shamelessly agreed, nudging her right back.

"Well aren't you two just the cutest." Terry gushed, throwing a hand over her chest as she admired their interactions. "Why couldn't you have come into her life a little sooner, Mike? I've never seen her so happy!" 

"Trust me, I wish I had." He didn't hesitate to reply, his eyes locked solely on El's.

El beamed as she stared back him, before having to quickly divert her attention back to the photos she was holding, otherwise she'd melt into a lovesick puddle right then and there.

Eventually, the three of them each ran out of old pictures to look at. El wasn't too upset about that, nor was she upset when her mom announced that she was heading back down to the kitchen to start on dinner.