tiny favor

↬ 1 ↫

Mike paced the shiny hardwood floor of his apartment, with his cell phone pressed against his ear as he listened to his sister beg him further.

"Absolutely not, Nancy." He practically yelled into his phone, adamantly shaking his head, as if she could actually see him. "I'm not doing it!"

"Please Mike! After all I've done for you, you can't just do this one tiny favor for me?"

"Watching four of your dogs is not a 'tiny favor' and you know it!"

"It's not like you have anything to do! You're on winter break for like a month! No classes or any of those heinous study groups to take up your time."

"Yeah, but I still have a job dumbass, and you know, a life." He scoffed, a bit offended that his sister just assumed he would have nothing to do. "And I don't want to spend the time I'm not busy, taking care of your pets."

"What if I pay you?"

Mike went silent.

Now that she was talking cash, he was starting to rethink his decision.

Given the fact that he's a very broke, college student, any opportunity for extra cash was far too good to pass up.

"How much?" He finally asked, his defeat no doubt bringing a satisfied grin to his sister's face.

"How about three hundred? That would be a hundred a week."

The amount sounded far better than he had expected, but then the rest of her words had registered in his brain.

"You're going to be to gone for three weeks?? Where the hell are you even going?"

"Just on a little trip with some friends."

"For three weeks??" He questioned in disbelief, that specific amount of time sounding far too long for her to just disappear.

"Yes, Mike. So can you do it or not?"

"I don't know... I'm not even supposed to have pets in the apartment. If my landlord stopped by and saw that I have four dogs, my ass would get evicted on the spot."

"He won't find out! If somehow he does, then I'll find a new apartment for you myself."

Mike thought about it for a moment, but it all came down to the fact that he desperately needed that extra money.

And really, it wasn't likely that Mr. Lee would stop by. The man only ever dropped in when he needed to do inspections or fix something, and neither of those things would be needed over the next three weeks. 

They're also tiny dogs, specifically puppies, so it couldn't be too bad, right?

Mike sighed in defeat, hoping he wouldn't hate himself later for making this decision. "Alright. I'll do it."

"Yes! Thank you!"

Her excitement really made him wonder what exactly she was doing during those three weeks, but his sister was a bit of wild card, so there was no telling what she had planned.

"Three hundred, Nancy." He reminded her, just to be sure she didn't forget that important little detail.

"Oh you'll get your money, don't worry. I'll see you tomorrow!"

"Yeah, bye." Mike ended the call and plopped down on his couch.

He looked around the room, realizing that he should probably get his apartment cleaned up and dog-proofed. He did have expensive things lying around. Well, not that expensive, but enough that he didn't want any of it getting destroyed by his sister's four-legged babies.