more than anything

↬ 19 ↫

It had been only just a few short hours since Mike had tucked himself away into what would be his bed for the week. All he'd done since then was lie there, staring wide-eyed at the ceiling above him.

Despite how insanely comfortable the bed was, there was absolutely no way he could fall asleep. A part of him knew it was because a certain brunette wasn't cuddled up in his arms like she is most nights. He had gotten far too used to that by now to go without it even for one night.

The other part of him suspected it had more to do with the fact that said brunette had admitted that she loved him. While she hadn't admitted it to him directly, she had to her father and Mike heard every single word.

How was he supposed to go to sleep after overhearing that? How was he supposed to even calm down enough to slip into a state of lessened consciousness when El was just right across the hall, unaware that he felt the exact same way?

He knew that he could've told her earlier when he'd gone in to check on her, he just didn't think it was the right time to bring up what he'd heard. She was upset after the conversation with her father and all Mike wanted to do then was comfort her.

So he did, holding her close in his arms, giving her all the comfort she needed until they eventually called it a night. The late night before of studying, along with the drive from earlier had finally caught up to them and they needed their sleep. 

But now, as Mike laid there, those tiresome feelings were long gone. All that consumed him were the words El had spoken, replaying in his head like a broken record.

Mike laid there for another restless minute or two before he decided that he wasn't going to stay there, impatiently waiting for sleep to come. He wasn't going to wait until morning to tell her how he felt either. So, he threw the covers right off of him, making a beeline for the room across from his, hoping that she wasn't asleep yet.

It seemed his hopes had come true, because just as he eased her bedroom door open, El's head popped up from her pillow.

"Mike?" She softly called out, before sitting up even further to get a good look. "Do you have a death wish or something? You know my dad would flip out if he found you in here!"

"I don't care." Mike whispered back, as he approached her bed, climbing right under the covers with her. "He can even arrest me if he wants, it would certainly be worth it."

"Woah, going against my dad now? That's hot." She giggled, while scooting closer to him.

"Yeah?" Mike grinned, before he leaned down and planted chaste kisses all over her smiling face.

El continued to giggle with each brush of his lips against her skin, only quieting down once he ceased his loving attack. She cuddled as close to him as she could, while Mike eagerly wrapped his arms around her.

"So what are you doing in my room, risking your life and whatnot?"

"Apparently, I can't sleep without you clinging on to me like a koala." He chuckled, making her do the same.

"Well, I can't sleep either. This koala needs her tree."

"Oh good, so I'm not the only dependent one here."

"Definitely not." El laughed once more. "I need you as much as you need me."

A comfortable silence soon took over as they laid there, cuddled up to one another just like they always do at night and it was perfect.

Neither understood how another person could bring them so much comfort, just by holding them in their arms. It felt like the whole world could be ending outside those walls and they would never notice, feeling so wonderfully content in their little bubble.