nice save

↬ 9 ↫

"Ah shit. Shit, shit, shit!" Mike swore profusely, as he hurried to shove his feet into a pair of shoes and rushed out of his apartment. He went straight over to El's, wasting no time in raising a fist to her door and knocking repeatedly.

The door was yanked open a couple of seconds later by El, who looked to be full of worry. "Mike? Hey, what's wrong??"

"Please tell me you don't have any plans."

"Other than whatever you and I are going to do, no I don't have any plans. What's wrong, Mike?"

"Mr. Lee just called me. I guess he saw me get home from work or something, but he said there's a leak on the first floor and of course, it's the one right below mine. He's coming to check my apartment in like ten minutes to make sure it's not coming from up here, so I have to do something with the dogs or I'll be looking for a new place to live tonight."

"Just bring them over here." She insisted, as if it were no big deal. "That'll work right?"

He was actually going to ask her to watch them himself, but felt a little less bad about it now that it was her idea.

"Yeah it will, but are you sure you wanna do that?"

"Yeah, absolutely! You know I love those little guys!"

"Oh God, thank you El. You're a life saver!" He exclaimed, feeling so grateful that he stepped closer and kissed her right on the cheek.

He didn't realize he had done such a thing until he noticed the look of surprise on her face when he pulled away.

"Sorry, I-"

"It's okay." She quickly cut him off, the huge grin growing on her face showing that she clearly didn't mind it.

Mike inevitably got lost in the sight, to the point where he didn't even realize how long it had been since he last said a word to her.

"Uh, Mike?"

"Yeah?"

"You should probably get the dogs over here, you still have to hide all the evidence right?" She laughed, knocking him right out of his daze. 

"Right, yeah. Be right back!"

He took off back into his apartment to round up the dogs, all the while repeatedly begging the universe to keep him from getting kicked out of his apartment.

Nearly an hour and a half later, Mike thankfully still had an apartment to call home. There were a few times he really thought his cover had been blown, but it all worked out. As soon as the man had finally stopped talking and went on his way, Mike went straight back over to El's.

He was now sitting next to her on the couch, eating the leftover takeout she had ordered earlier. She had saved him his favorites, which was great since he hadn't even gotten to eat lunch yet.

"So everything went good then? He didn't get suspicious of anything?" El asked, as she rubbed the belly of the dog currently resting in her lap.