consider yourself lucky

↬ 3 ↫

Mike had just gotten back from work, holding a stack of books tightly against his chest as he climbed the stairs to his apartment.

He was really dreading having to open his door, fearing what he'd find on the other side. The dogs were left alone in there for the first time and he had been stressing about what could have possibly gone wrong all morning.

He had closed all the doors, put away everything they could possibly destroy and left out their food and water just as Nancy's incredibly detailed instructions had told him to do. 

Still, those dogs were like children and children somehow manage to get into everything.

With a deep breath, Mike prepared himself for the worst and unlocked his door, gently pushing it open.

Oliver came running to the door, but the other three hadn't made their appearances yet. That made him a little nervous, but then he took one good look around the living room and so far everything looked intact.

Mike nudged the door shut with his foot and placed his books down on the table next to his couch. He took his shoes off and walked around a bit more, assessing for any signs of damage. Still, everything looked intact.

He was about to celebrate the fact that they actually behaved, until he noticed one of his couch pillows on the floor, along with a pile of the white stuffing that should be on the inside of it.

"Damn it, forgot about the pillows." Mike muttered to himself, irritably making a move to get the mess cleaned up.

It was one couch pillow though, could be worse. 

He picked up all the stuffing and went into the kitchen to throw it away, instantly feeling a wetness take over the bottom of socks. He immediately cringed at the horrid feeling of wet socks and looked down to find exactly what he had expected. Puddles and puddles of dog pee, one in which, was responsible for his now wet socks.

As if on cue, the rest of the puppies came running into the kitchen, all very excited to see their temporary caretaker, although he wasn't too excited to see them.

"Of course." He spoke to the dogs, while stepping out of the puddle. "Why use the puppy pads like you're supposed to do when you can just pee all over my floor?"

Mike was about to give the dogs a lengthy lecture, telling them what they should and shouldn't be doing, but a knock on his door stopped him.

It was probably a good thing, considering he would only be wasting his breath. It's not like they'd listen to him.

On his way over to see who was at the door, Oliver ran right beside him, biting repeatedly at his ankles.

"Oliver no!" Mike hollered at the dog, quickly leaning down to pick him up, because he knew that was the only way to stop the biting. "You know, you might just be my least favorite. First the lamp, now this?"

Oliver started yapping, but stopped once Mike opened the door. Right in front of him stood the girl he could now put a sweet voice and an even sweeter laugh to, but still no name.

The same girl who has also been on his mind ever since she spoke actual words to him for the first time yesterday.

"Hi!" She greeted him, sounding incredibly cheerful. She quickly realized though just how enthusiastic she sounded, causing the bright smile on her face to fall a bit.

"Hey?" Mike replied, the word coming out more questionably than he meant for it to. He was certainly happy to see her on his doorstep, but he would have never expected it.