much more than nice

↬ 8 ↫

It had officially been two weeks since Nancy had left her dogs in Mike's care and it seemed that those dogs were exactly what he needed in his life.

Because those dogs had brought him El and El was really something special.

He had spent time with her just about every single day since he'd put his whole plan into action. They'd spent quite a bit of that time at the park, taking advantage of the good weather and the chance for the dogs to run free.

They talked about anything and everything as they walked along the trails, laid on the grass near the lake or the very often times that El would insist they cloud watch. She was very adamant in getting Mike to use his imagination and he tried his best for her, he really did.

When they had run out of things to do, they just sat around and talked even more, so much so that Mike felt like he'd known El his whole life. He had learned so much about her, just as she had about him.

He told her all about his life, where he grew up, what he liked and disliked. They had already discovered their mutual love for Star Wars, so they weren't too surprised to find that they have other things in common too. They both love horror films, especially the really cheesy ones from the 80's. They both have a strong distaste for sushi and cannot stand when the people who live in the apartments below theirs crank their music up too loud every Thursday night. They both also enjoy reading, but that could be assumed by anyone due to their concentrations in school.

He told her all about his family, consisting of his loving parents and two very eccentric sisters. Of course, she had already heard plenty about Nancy who seemed to be quite the character.

He told her all about his friends, how each one was certainly unique in their own way. He talked the most about Dustin, since he's his closest friend. El was quick to decide that Dustin seemed great and told him that she definitely wanted to meet the boy.

He also told her all about his plans for the future or lack thereof. He knew he wanted to write, he had spent a majority of his life doing it, he just didn't know where he wanted to go from here. El assured him that he would figure it out, that it would all work out for him and for the first time, he actually believed what everyone else in his life had been telling him all along. Hearing the words come from her just hit him differently than hearing them from anyone else.

Unlike Mike, it seemed that El had it all figured out.

Mike learned that she wanted to be a journalist for a well-known newspaper, eventually working her way up to becoming an editor. Just hearing her talk about her plans for the future inspired him in a way. It seemed that she knew exactly what she wanted and he had no doubt that she would get it.

He learned that she had grown up in a town not too far from where he had, just El and her parents. Her dad was the chief of the police in her hometown, so she was a pretty well behaved kid. Her mom was a librarian, which is where her love for reading came from.

He learned that she too has very unique friends, Lucas being her best one. He had been her neighbor for years and quickly became like the brother she never had. Unfortunately Lucas and the rest of her friends from home had all gone off to college elsewhere, so she didn't get to see them as much as she'd like.

He also learned that she really loves sunflowers.

Oh, and she loves dogs, but he was well aware of that.