Ch.25: Tower of Heaven (Part 7)

The sun had just risen, and everyone had returned to the Akane Resort to heal their wounds and rest. Now that Yuto had finally remembered all the details of his life, he could finally have a clearer picture of the situation.

Dragons were different from each other. Some were good; others were evil; still others were neither good nor evil. From this point of view, they were not very different from humans. Because, just like dragons, even humans were capable of indescribable cruelty.

Yuto was also capable of cruelty. From what Mordred and Auros had told him, he looked like an enlightened King, but the truth was that Yuto had killed many to ensure the freedom, well-being and, above all, happiness of a few.

Slavers. Rulers. Armies. His hands were soaked with their blood.

Although today Tenrou Island is just a small island forgotten by God, known only for being the sacred place of the Fairy Tail guild, it was an island of the same size as England four centuries ago.

the Kingdom of Lyoness (although it did not have a name at the time) was born on the remains of old labour and concentration camps created by foreign "conquerors" who had subdued the local populations, bringing there their culture, their language, and their religions, enslave the local populations and begin a process of slavery and deportation in order to exploit the abundant natural resources that the island had.

The development was so rapid that within twenty years Yuto had transformed a backward island into a flourishing economic and military nation, favoured by the knowledge that Yuto possessed in the economic and magic fields and the help of dragons who believed in coexistence.

Even the choice of having two capitals was quite right. Camelot was the administrative and financial capital, named so to honour of his mother; the trading capital was Fuyuki, to honour his father, and was a large trading port in which ships from the kingdoms with which Yuto had entered into trade agreements docked.

And yet, it all started to go wrong when he made his only mistake: the creation of the Dragon Slayer.

To be a magus means walking alongside death.

Yuto made a big mistake. By the time he had lived on Earthland, a world where magic was part of everyday life, he had forgotten that a part of him was not human.

When Auros planted the dragon seed inside him, the only side effect was motion sickness, a problem that Merlin solved by creating a mystical code for him. And yet, when he and Irene created the Dragon Slayer to help the faction who wanted coexistence, Dragon Slayer started to go crazy and then turned into dragons.

And then, a monster was born among them.

Acnologia, the Dragon King and the Black Dragon of the Apocalypse. A demon who bathed in dragon blood, even Auros.

Saving someone means not being able to save someone else.

Claire had used all of her magical power to accelerate Acnologia's aging while he was still human, but what she had managed to do was accelerate his transformation into a dragon. However, she consumed all her power at once, falling seriously ill and leading her to death after a long suffering.

"Stupid girl..." Yuto murmured.

Yuto now remembered their first meeting, when he had saved her from some slavers who were leading her to a labour camp from which he was sure she would come back alive. For a while then he tried to find her parents, but he never found them.

Yuto knew what she had to feel, so he took care of her like she was his younger sister. But that child then became a woman and eventually his wife.

Yuto understood that swords would not always help him. He needed something else to protect his family. That's why he had Auros implant the Dragon Seed.