Ch.26: Harvest Festival (Part 1)

East and West were two different realities. The dragons that live in the West ate humans while those who live in the East coexisted with them. However, rumours about the west also reached Ishgar.

Unfortunately, this voice proved to be correct when the Eastern continent was also swallowed up by war. Western dragons outnumbered eastern dragons, which in turn were weakened by the fact that they had been betrayed by those who did not want coexistence.

Irene, the Queen of Dragnof, and Belserion, the Wise Dragon and protector of the Kingdom and the royal family, needed to find a solution to the problem. In fact, Belserion had heard of a king who could rival a dragon.

"How did you find out about this Kingdom, Belserion?" Irene asked.

Belserion was a large dragon with bronze scales and a white belly. His body was formed by countless horns.

"I have a contact in that kingdom, a dragon and an old friend of mine," Belserion replied, "just like us, he and the current King are working together to create a lasting peace between dragons and humans."

"I understand," Irene nodded, "do you think he'll agree to cooperate?"

"I don't know," Belserion replied, without hiding a hint of concern, "but my contact said the King knew of our arrival."

Just as Belserion had said, a giant golden dragon blocked their way.

"Belserion," Auros called.

"Auros," Belserion replied.

"The King has agreed to meet with you," Auros announced, "follow me."

Auros turned and made them the way. For a few minutes Irene saw nothing, then, before she could even think of a hypothesis, she saw the earth extend as far as the eye could see. The cities below them were very small and the inhabitants were like ants.

"Surprise, is it?" Auros laughed amused at their expression, "the Kingdom is protected by a special barrier that conceals its presence outside. The other kingdoms know it exists, but they don't know where it is."

"And how do they survive if they don't know where it is?" Irene asked curiously, "I mean... trade is not favoured"

"The King has created a system that allow all trading partners to track the island so they can find its location," Auros replied, "but this is only the first level of security. In fact, this kingdom has two other levels of security. The second is a barrier that warns of the presence of an enemy"

"And the third?" Belserion asked.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know what the third is, but it's something that will only activate when there's an enemy the King can't defeat," Auros turned to the city in front of them, "we are arrived"

The city was immense, even larger than the capital of Dragnof. Camelot was a fortified city, whose access points were four gates placed near the four cardinal points, each connected to the other by a main road. The white marble castle stood where these roads crossed.

"This is Camelot," Auros proudly said, "it represents the pinnacle of human-dragon collaboration."

Auros told that Camelot existed before the kingdom was founded. It was the capital of a small statelet which the King usurped the throne, favoured by the fact that the former ruler had been betrayed by a group of dissidents, mostly knights who saw the current King as the righteous ruler.