Ch.34: Oracion Seis (Part 3)

Lately Mordred had a lot on her mind. Everything was about Yuto anyway.

Yuto was married to Claire and her. It was not illegal because at the time it was necessary to maintain an acceptable demographic level because of the dragons that ate humans.

Yuto adored Claire. They had lived together for a long time and eventually formed a family. The right ending for two people who loved each other.

But Mordred was a different case. While many might think it was to increase her status, it wasn't really so. First, she wanted to protect Claire and Yuto's happiness. It was different because she chose to marry Yuto to protect Claire.

Because only the children born of the first wife could inherit the various political positions. But that changed if Claire died without producing an heir. In that case, the second wife would become the first wife, and by then, she would have had a child.

It was sick, but that's how it worked. It happened that an ambitious asshole had hired assassins to kill Claire. Needless to say, Yuto was furious when he found out. If Mordred remembered correctly, he had the culprit beheaded and removed all titles and possessions from his family. Mordred didn't know what happened to the rest of the family after that.

The second reason was that she wanted to prevent ambitious whores from gaining too much power and sending to hell Yuto's efforts to create a country for his family. Mordred knew Yuto wasn't stupid, but it was better safe than sorry.

That's why Mordred married him.

"You and Irene seem to get along really well," Mordred casually said.

"Sure. We have the same goal," Yuto nodded, "we want to kill Acnologia."

"I see," Mordred nodded, "what will you do then?"

"I think I will retire from the battlefields," Yuto replied, "it would be good to have a peaceful life where my life and that of my family is constantly threatened."

"Your family is your first thought as always," Mordred smiled sweetly, "it wouldn't be bad after the Dragon King Festival"

"What will you do instead?" Yuto asked in turn.

"I don't know that. I can't do much more than swing my sword and kill enemies," Mordred observed Martha taking a little break after an exhausting training, "but for the past seven years, she's been my only thought. I know she's not totally my daughter, but I gave birth, raised and tried to give her what I never had, especially love."

Yuto smiled. It was known that parents gave their children what they had not had from their parents. And Mordred had never known maternal love.

"You know, Mordred, you've changed a lot," Yuto said, and Mordred looked at him in surprise, "when I met you, you were arrogant and even violent. For you there was only the Holy Grail and Caliburn; the rest was only enemies to be crushed. Now you're a little more selfless and kinder, probably more willing to sacrifice yourself for others. You were there for me during and after the Dragon King Festival."

Mordred looked down as she felt some discomfort. "Do you hate me?" she asked.

"For what?" He looked puzzled at his sister.

"I manipulated your mind so that you would forget your love for Claire; I lied you when I told that Martha was born from an incest."

"I admit I don't like what you did. You should know that I prefer a sad truth to a sweet lie," Yuto sighed deeply, "but I know you did it for my sake. Claire's death is my fault. As a family, I had to be close to Claire instead of wasting the little time I had left to spend with her going around the continent looking for a medicine that could save her."