Ch.27: Harvest Festival (Part 2)

The Holy Grail War could have unthinkable implications. In Yuto's case, it caused a second magic's effect that brought him to Earthland. Discovering that the new world resembled in some ways the medieval period of his original one, Yuto knew that there were no such things as supermarkets or electronic items.

Now, although he had no problems for the latter since he was incompatible with technology, food was a necessity that had to be procured in nature. Like every other morning for almost a month, Yuto closed the door of the small wooden house he had occupied and set out on the forest path.

Although dragons were the predominant species, it was possible to find creatures similar to boars and hares. And yet, fate had something else in store that morning. In fact, arriving near a wider path, Yuto noticed the presence of traces left by the wheels of a wagon.

And because it was strange that someone would pass by to reach the nearest town, Yuto decided to follow them. What he saw left the bitterness in his mouth because he saw a group of three men, dressed in dark cloaks and Greek masks, who were erasing the traces of their passage. They had a wagon pulled by a couple of horses. It was equipped with a cage inside which there was a little girl. Her wrists and ankles were tied with iron handcuffs.

The three were discussing something. Reinforcing his hearing, Yuto heard that they were talking about plundering a village almost a day's walk away. They cursed the villagers who had opposed resistance. They were forced to resort to drastic ways to get what they wanted.

"I'm so pissed that I need to vent my anger on someone," what seemed like the boss looked at the girl inside the cage, "and here's just what I need." He stood up and approached the cart. "Will you favour?"

His fellow criminals remained silent for a few moments before nodding. Eye does not see, heart does not hurt. If their boss didn't know about the rape, then nothing would have happened. In fact, they weren't even sure their boss wasn't up to this.

However, they did not know that Yuto had heard them. He was not a saint, but he would not allow anyone to physically abuse a defenceless girl. He hit an arrow and took aim at the first, waiting for him to be placed where he wanted, and shooting.

The first thug died instantly as the arrow pierced his head. Even though the first one was dead, the other two now knew they were not alone. They drew swords and prepared themselves.

A few moments passed before a second arrow pierced the hand of the second man who dropped the weapon. A distressing scream came from under the mask. And at the end a third arrow was shot; and it pierced the heart of the third man, who, like the first, expired in a few moments.

The only survivor turned to the other side and tried to escape but, as soon as he turned, he found Yuto who, armed with a sword, watched the criminal.

"Please. Spare me," he begged, "I'll give you whatever you want but don't kill me."

"You wanted to rape a girl and now you're asking me to spare your life," Yuto stoically observed the thug, "die, scum." He waved his sword, beheaded him.

Yuto vanished his sword and turned to the wagon. It was fortunate that the horses were not frightened, probably because they were under the influence of hypnosis. He approached the cage and watched the girl trembling with fear.

"I'm not an enemy," he lifted both hands and smiled at them warmly.

Yuto stretched his hands to the cage and broke the wood with only a little brute force. He entered the cage and began to free the girl from the iron chains that imprisoned her.

"You see? I'm not here to hurt you," he smiled again, "do you have a name?"

"C-Claire," the girl, however hesitant she was, replied.